We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i have enough time?

okiegirl87
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
do i have enough time?

I will be in greece from may 22-29 give or take. The first leg of my trip will be in paris (5 days) and i have been there before so if i need to give up some days its no big problem. I've heard people say don't stay in athens for more than 2 days because its so dirty. So what should i do? I would love to see santorini and rhodes if i can do this in a week. Am i being to unrealistic? I really want to see athens but would also like to squeeze in an island if i can. When it comes to the islands im not a big fan of staying there forever and getting to know it. I don't mind going there for a day or two then moving. If it were me i would be in a new place everyday but im not travelling alone.Please let me now your input good and bad...Thanks

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do i have enough time?

Athens is an incredible city with so much to offer. I've been to Rome, Paris, NYC and Athens beats them all in my opinion. I think Athens needs at least 3 days- I was there for 6 days last year and didn't get to see all of the things I wanted to. Yes, there's dirt, but what big city doesn't have some?

Santorini is amazing- magnificent views, but I think 2 days would be enough there. It's extremely expensive and unless you want to spend all of your time and money admiring the views, your money can be better spent elsewhere.

I've not yet been to Rhodes, but I'm sure some of the experts will be on soon with more insight.

Have fun planning!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do i have enough time?

bare minimum: arrive go directly to Oia,Santorini, 2 nights, 3 nights in Rhodes, finish with 3 nights in Athens. You will not even scratch the surface, but will get a taste that should make you come back for more next time. Athens is an amazing city. Have fun!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do i have enough time?

Johnnie b's excellent itinerary is do-able if you fly or ferry directly to Santorini upon arrival in Athens airport. You can then get an overnight Blue Star ferry to Rhodes (very time-efficient... you travel while you sleep!). Then fly back to Athens via Aegean Air.

Getting to Santorini -- Air tickets are high in late may (all those brides, you know), but there's a blue-star ferry 7pm-midnight.

From Rhodes u can get an Aegean Air 'promotional price" fare for 54€ on May 27.

But to do this you must ACT NOW, no dithering. Nail down your transport, worry about hotels after. Without transport, forget it.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do i have enough time?

In late May the Sky Express Airline may have started their seasonal flights between Santorini and Rhodes. Look up this site from time to time to see when the schedule becomes available:

http://www.skyexpress.gr/

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do i have enough time?

Hi there

I'm not sure how old the guide book is that people refer to when they tell you that Athens "is dirty"? It had it's smog problems years ago but it is now a lovely cleaned-up city that rivals anywhere in the world. Remember that the city hosted the Olympics in 2004 and I'm sure that world-class athletes would not have considered staying in a dirty city.

Three days on Rhodes will give you a decent flavour of the island - if you need a three day road itinerary to take in the top sights, just post again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do i have enough time?

Hey and welcome okiegirl87:-) As you can tell, we all love Athens..and rightfully so! This is a vibrant, active, lively and modern metropolis rivaling any great Cities of the world and depending on your interests, can certainly fill the entire week..but can also understand the 'need' to move on and check out at least one isle! IMO, Johnnie's suggestion is pefect for the amount of time you appear to have..and do save Athens for your finale..also ensures your return flight! Have a blast..and totally Enjoy!

okiegirl87
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do i have enough time?

Oh my...you guys have gone above and beyond ;-) Thanks for the sample schedule that really helps me out and i appriciate all the advice very much.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do i have enough time?

Our pleasure:-) Let us know how the planning goes.. and keep enjoyin'!

9. Re: do i have enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 04:17