We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

SUNDAY

At Manchester Airport I am selected (again!!) for frisking & boot removal. Donkeys sneak through without passports. Uneventful flight to Preveza.

Pick up car & off we go. Err – where is everyone? Greece is empty! First stop Zalongo mounment – under renovation & surrounded by scaffolding so took a bad photo & returned to car where we ate our smuggled Melton Mowbray pork pies for a late lunch.

A scenic drive throught the hills, onto the coast at Ammoudia & through Parga to our first rooms at Filoxenia Studios in Anthousa. Christina & Vassilis make us welcome and she brings coffee & spoon fruit to our balcony with it's panoramic views over the olive groves to Parga & the sea.

Anthousa is a proper greek village, only up the road from Parga, but seems to be a million light years away from the “tourist trap” environment.

That evening we eat at “Taverna Vassilis”. This is a different Vassilis, who speaks no english but treats us as honoured guests, with free tsipouro, sponge puddings & brandies to accompany our meal.

MONDAY

We are up by 7.30am – a quick coffee from our travel kettle, & off to Ali Pasha’s Castle atop the hill overlooking the village. We have the place to ourselves & explore the ruins & gaze at the views. Then into Parga for a walk along the waterfront & harbour. A pleasant town with a lovely outlook, but VERY touristy – would be a no-no place for me to be in busy season!

Off on a 2 hour walk through the olive groves, to enjoy more lovely views & interesting churches. Excellent lunch at Taverna Perivolis on the outskirts of town, followed by a walk back into Parga & up to the fortress. It starts to rain but what the heck! As tourists dive for shelter & coffee bar owners rub their hands with glee I go stroll on the beach in a downpour! I’m in Greece – who cares about the weather!!

That evening we return to Perivolis for their famous Meze Plate meal. A deal for 2 for €25 – a huge plate of cold mezes, followed by an equally huge plate of chips, rice, grilled meats, souvlaki etc. What we cannot eat is kindly put into a container for lunch next day. And we got more freebies – ouzo!

TUESDAY

We drive to Glyki, on the Acheron River & spend 3 hours walking along the gorge to the bridge where we can go no further as it is too deep to wade up the river (as is common practice). Amazing views, & lovely shade under the trees. Back at the car we enjoy our leftovers picnic lunch & then set off for Kafias Kastro beyond Souli, zig-zagging our way up the mountains. A serendipitous wrong turn takes us to picturesque watermills & falls. After back-tracking we reach the end of the tarmac where we park & then scramble up the steep rocky slope to the Kastro. It starts to thunder & lighten, so we make a hasty exploration of the ruins & stumble back down the precipitous path just before the rain starts.

Back at Anthousa we again walk to the local taverna, which provides delicious stifado & garlic bread. Free orange spoon fruit, MORE ouzo & MORE brandies appear. I think Vassilis likes us! Then again – we are his only customers.

On the way back to the studio we see fireflies flitting about in the dark lane. Tomorrow we move on to our next base in Konitsa.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

I love it when folks remember the 'details' to give! Wonderful..especially love those donkeys getting through without a blink..lol..priceless! Enjoyin'!

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Lovely report, Tsipouro. It really gives a flavour of your trip.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Great and inspiring report !

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Wonderful report, Tsipouro. Even though it's finally a beautiful, blue day here, your story has me longing for Greece.

Susan

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Ace report Christine, thanks for the experience!!

England
Level Contributor
515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Hi tsipouro,

Really enjoyed your report.

I just hope part 3 comes before we set off tomorrow as I know you were heading to Zagoria on your trip and I would be interested on how you got on in the region and where you visited whilst there.

This time tomorrow, if all goes according to plan, we should have arrived in Mikro Papingo, so hence my interest.

mulch

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Thanks Mulch - I did post the next "episode" but have deleted it & am re-writing as there were some problems with. But it was Konitsa area - to be followed by Psarades then Edessa & finally Zagoria so afraid you will have to wait! However just to let you know Zagoria was glorious. Fresh, green, snow on the tops, so quiet everywhere AND we had a delicious meal in Elati (I think it was you who recommended).

If you miss out on my postings drop me a PM when you return with your email address & I will send a personal copy.

In fact go check your PMs now as I will send you a message anyway . . . .

uk
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Ace report, Tsipouro - the Zagoria area is quite stunning isn't it? Looking forward to Part 2.

Best Regards

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Thanks!

By the final parts of this saga I will be back to the heart of Zagoria. Watch this space!

northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 2009 - Part 2. Arival & Anthousa

Tsipouro-have just returned to TA after too many days absence and your trip reports really whet the appetite! Only 17 more sleeps and we're off on first leg of the Greece journey.Can't wait! Meanwhile I have all your reports to savour. Thanks so much.