We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens TA meet - report part one

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Athens TA meet - report part one

Well, BA certainly know how to look after their fare paying passengers and I have to say that the cattle truck mentality of EasyJet was banished forever.

WE take off 40 mins late from LHR but the driver finds a extra gear and we land at Athens bang on time. Wow - it takes just 10 mins to disembark, go past the passport rottweilers and retrieve our bags. As usual, texts srat flying and we locate Erik waiting for us at the X95 bus stop.

Once again, our introduction to Athens is a frightening one - the X95 driver (or should I say pilot) has delusions of being an F1 star and he throws this bus around corners as if he is driving a go-kart - bags go flying and passengers look for a suitable open window through which to be sick.

Having broekn the sound barrier on the ring road we finally brake to a mere 150 kph as we negotiate the hubbub of central Athens and cruise into Syntagma like a space shuttle landing in the Nevada desert.

Erik makes for the Cypria whilst we amble down the main drag towards the Airotel which we find within 10 mins.

We are tired, and have been up all night so we find the closest bar for a beer. Christ, that'll teach us to be thirsty, we order two "large" Mythos to be served with 2 x 330ml bottles at 5 euros a piece. Maybe that includes the table, chairs and umbrella??

WE drink that slowly at such a price but pay up, leave bugger all as a tip other than "try lowering the prices" and blatantly walk right next door where the beer comes in proper "large sizes" and is way cheaper.

Back to the room, unpack, get showered, then hit the streets again. The Airotel is pleasant, nice rooms, good sized bathrooms, and friendly staff, well, they must be, they haven't asked us to leave yet......

WE amble around for a couple of hours then receive the calling from Thalia so we rendezvous in Monastiraki SQuare to find ourselves in the company of Jim amd Susam (Mitsa) plus Erik and Thalia. WE have a couple of beers then off to Savvas for a table full of amazing food. Photos are taken from every angle of the groaning table as toasts are made, jokes are told and beer is consumed.

Having scoffed almost everything except the table cloth, everyone is feeling the strain of a day or two in transit so we retire to the James Joyce bar for a night cap. We are able to sit outside and boy, is it still warm, maybe 20c at 10pm,

As if on cue, dirty jokes start to fly around and Erik is laughing so hard he looks as if he will burst!!

We finally admit defeat and walk back to the hotel, acquiring a bottle of red en route as a night cap.

So, here we are, first full day and looking forward to what's in store....

More to follow..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

gad zooks!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

Great report! I'm so jealous I didn't make it...

united kingdom
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

Great report and so so green I am not there !!

Hope you all have fun XXX

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,101 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

Hanging on every word . . . . . & looking forward to Episode Two!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

GB...fab as always..we are so sad not to meet up again...and hopefully Erik gift bag for you Yiassas, Phil, and the gang! We are thinking of you..and knowing that youing a fab time!!!Have a great trip!

J&C

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

..that was "hopefully Erik got the gift bag for you.." sorry, the laptop still has the "FETA" virus..lol!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

Don't worry Johnnie, toasts were made to "absent friends" as always and I'm sure you and Chris were with us in spirit (plenty of that floating around).

Glad you saved your current keyboard Litsa, I can't keep up with all the bills for new ones...:0)

Sorry to all the "HC-ers", but I can't for the life of me remember the website address - I've tried every combination but still can't find it. It does look like most of you have found the reports here anyway!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

Wow lovely part one.

Glad Ms. Thalia enjoyed her pretzels!!!

Will there be any Beer left in Athens when you lot departs?

LadyDar

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

I have a few tins in my fridge in case of emergency...

20. Re: Athens TA meet - report part one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 05:19