We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,548 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

I was making a batch of yummy hummous today & got to wondering why I never see any on the menu in Greece. It is always served as a meze dip with pitta bread in any greek restaurant I've been in back home in UK. So is it just my bad luck not to go to the right places in Greece?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

@niko

i think both are a shared food here in the whole mediterannean basin.

Boiling something and then making a puree or dip by it is a usual way to prepare a food for many many centuries.

Chick peas for example, basis of hummus have been cultivated at least back from 6000 - 7000 BC. It is sensible to expect that that interactions through trade or common administration or or or will bring similar results.

What is really more intriguing though is that finely chopped salads are also a common thig. Turkey food has this finely chooped thing, that you can find also in Ethiopian cuisine many thousands miles to the South.

The more based a plate is on vegetables ( which have been cultivatyed for more by humans ) the more expanded its use will be. Thanks God, interactions exist and give one areas good things to other area.

Eggplant salad is a common thing, and the really interesting thing is the "smokey" feeling both plates ( Greek or Eguptain / Arab ) tend to have. Yiammie!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Thanks Nick - as ever we get education from you!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Nick, that smokey flavour was absolutely wonderful in the eggplant salads we had a few times during our trip last month! Funny thing is, when we saw "eggplant salad" on the menu the first time, we both pictured diced or chopped eggplant served with herbs and spices, so you can imagine our surprise when the waiter brought a pureed eggplant dish instead! We thought they had made a mistake ... until we tasted it.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Thanks Tsipouro. It always fascinates me that something so "humble" like cooking is actually a result of many centuries interactions.

Desert?

:))

Good night all :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

lol donny, yes :) this is the best thing :)

Cheers!! to more and nicely made eggplant salads :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Thanks so much Nick for the interesting info.

Mary

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

None of the aubergines recipes that you mentioned are Greek, Tsipouro.

Aubergines was a vegetable of the nomads for many decades.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Donny, the aubergine salad you describe is the Macedonian one. Chopped aubergines, peppers, onion, parsley and garlic. It goes perfectly with a chunk of feta.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Το answer the original question: I have eaten hummus dozens upon dozens of times in Greece! And it's delicious!!!

I make it myself :)

(But they sell it in my small town outside Thessaloniki too, I just like my recipe better.)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Did you ever eat hummous in Greece?

Tsipouro,you are not alone in thinking that Hummous would be available everywhere in Greece.

I love it and regularly make it at home. EVERYONE that I have served it to also mistakenly thinks that it is a Greek dish. (Sorry TH13)

Until very recently, I think that your average Brit, did not make any distinction between the cultural heritage of the North and South of Cyprus. The politics and cultural differences were a complete mystery!! (Hopefully this is now changing.)

To them, Cyprus was/is in the holiday brochures as a Greek Island, they spoke Greek, they ate hummous .......... therefore hummous is Greek!!

I grew up in the Med. area and have lived (briefy) in Cyprus so have always known differently. Even my my OH, who should know better, asked for it in a restaurant when I first went with him to Rhodes.

It was a few years ago, but the waiter was baffled and I was mortified!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL! :O)