We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally off topic.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Totally off topic.....

but I just sat here at my computer and all over TV the news is that Michael Jackson has just died..unbelieveably enough, Farrah Fawcett as well passed away this morning..Condolences and prayers!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally off topic.....

And Ed McMahon!!! Very sad.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally off topic.....

Ohh goodness: ((....

Very Sad.....Condolences to both of them...

As for Michael Jackson....I grew up with his songs..his video clips of 90's. A phenomenal music talent..with a bad end...but with a big history left back: (

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally off topic.....

Litsa, I'm watching it on CNN!! A very sad day!! Michael Jackson had such an amazing life! My condolences and thoughts go to his family!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally off topic.....

Litsa

Three icons from our pasts, and time keeps marching on...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally off topic.....

....life IS short! We should definetely take in and enjoy each and every day!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally off topic.....

Hi Litsa

The news here in the UK says it was a heart attack. How awful for someone just 50 years of age. But I guess none of us can imagine the turmoil and stress he must have endured these past few years.

Yes, he was an icon of the music scene but a troubled person too. The sham marriages, the appalling "cosmetic" surgery, the allegations of child abuse, recent financial problems, and all the rest of it. Someone famously wrote in the press here a few years ago that he "was born a black male and will die a white female".

I was never particularly a fan but Caroline grew up with Thriller, Off The Wall, and the other 80's albums that catapulted him to superstar status.

A sad loss indeed but he was never likely to recreate his "superstardom" after all the allegations and scandals, regardless of whether he was the guilty party or not. A troubled soul indeed who is now at rest, maybe it's for the better...?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally off topic.....

I agree with your view and reflections, Graham. To me this music is far too "modern" with no substance to it except for being a "thump-bang"-thing for some nutty dancing.

However, it is always sad when such a young person dies, and I send my condolences.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally off topic.....

All these get shut down on the UK forums...most likely because people are too busy taking the p!ss to have any sort of compassion :(

'Caroline grew up with Thriller, Off The Wall' - me too, GB! Still remember permission granted for us all to stay up late to watch the première of Thriller on C4, like it was yesterday :( I initially thought he may have topped himself, the Scully in me wouldn't be surprised if this was the case - no matter, I'm glad he's at peace - that was a completely foreign word to him here on Earth eh?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Totally off topic.....

'a "thump-bang"-thing for some nutty dancing.' I like that analogy Erik :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Totally off topic.....

Very sad indeed. His poor kiddies.Hopefully they'll get some normality now.