We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hopping

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
335 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Island Hopping

We are planning a trip for next year. I think we want to go to Corfu for sure. What other island would you suggest, Mykonos or Santorini?

Three couples, looking for fun, great food, a little partying and beautiful beaches/scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hopping

Hi there

With all respect, have you looked at a map of Greece? Corfu sits to the far north of the Ionians to the west of mainland Greece whilst Mykonos and Santorini are in the Cyclades chain, to the east/southeast of the mainland. They are a long way apart with no direct connections, either ferry or flights. It's about 400 miles in a straight line from Corfu to Santorini but you can only travel via Athens which would take an entire day out from your time frame

You would need to give us a bit more to go on please...

How long?

What time of year?

What tyope of accommodation?

Fly or ferry between islands?

Include Athens in the trip or not?

More than happy to help but we do need more from you for this....

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Cyclades
Cyclades
South Aegean, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
335 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hopping

You are very kind.

What I am looking for is a wonderful Greek Islands vacation. We have 10 days to spend in the islands.

There are three couples in the 40-50 age group.

We like to party, eat wonderful meals and enjoy stunning beaches.

We like nice places and are not concerned necessarily with cost.

We want to be "blown away" by beauty.

I was looking at Skopleos as well. We are open to any itinerary....just want it to be right.

We would rather fly between destinations than waste time on a ferry.

I plan to visit relatives for a few days in Athens before the others arrive.

Trip will be September 2010.

You are so amazing to help me.

I thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Hopping

Hey again Greekchick..believe I got you on your other post:-) Nonetheless, being a bit biased, I'd say Skopelos would certainly offer that 'blown away' experience..lol! With 10 days/9 nights and depending on your style..you can do an isle in the Cyclades..or Corfu and shoot up North to the Sporades but it DOES involve some manuevering since this isle does NOT have an airport and requires a ferry..either from the mainland OR from neighborhing Skiathos where you can fly into from Athens (which will always be your transfer point for these particular isles)..takes 15 min to get to it's first port-of-call since there are 2 on the isle! You've got plenty of time to read up/research to see what you attracts you! You're interests are vast stretching from the Ionian..to the Aegean..to the Sporades! IMO, with your alloted time, would limit it to 2 isles..but again, that depends on how YOU like to travel! Giving each isle at least 3-4 nights lets you get to know it a bit..experience it and get into the 'rythm' of the place! Happy planning..and keep enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Cyclades
Cyclades
South Aegean, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Hopping

I agree with Litsa in that you have picked 3 of the most widely separated islands, and one only accessible by ferry.... and the ones you CAN reach by flying require a plane-change in Athens.

It would be as if a European coming to North america with a holiday limited to 9 nights would say, yes we can fly ... we want to go to Charleston SC, Chicago and -- oh yes, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

Wouldn't you be tempted to say, look at a map and rethink your plan?

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Hopping

Hi again

With just 9 full days to fill, and seeing as you intend seeing Athens before the rest of your party arrive, I too would suggest no more than two islands or else you will spend a disproportionate time of your trip in transit, packing and unpacking again.

Look at islands that are close to each other and have easy and fast ferry links like Kos and Rhodes, Kefalonia and Ithaca, and as Litsa has suggested, Skiathos and Skopelos. That way, you get to maximise your time "ashore" and get a feel for the specific island in question. All three of those "pairs" offer everything you seek.

Do plan to get back to Athens for your return flight 24 hours prior to departure. It's rare but not unknown for ferries and/or domestic flights to be delayed meaning you stand a small chance of missing the homebound flight to the US.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
6. Re: Island Hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 06:16