We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Hello all!

As promised in another thread, I'm posting my suggestions for cheap yet magnificent Greek islands.

My no1 is Astypalaia. IMO, the most beautiful Greek island, with dead cheap accommodation and even cheaper food and booze.

The second one will be Kimolos and the third one Skyros. Both have great beaches, moderate to cheap accomodation but very cheap fish and alcohol.

An island that most Greeks know it for its Panayia but has amazing beaches, tons of things to see and can be done very cheaply is Tinos.

The island with probably the cheapest rooms all over Greece is Kalymnos.

Close to Athens, a nightmare in August, but very cheap and great for relaxation in Septemeber is Aegina.

Limni in Evia is a magnificent village, with cheap rooms, good and cheap food and most of times you will swim and see the dolphins playing!

Ithaca might not be considered cheap but if you do a good search for accommodation and follow GB's advice on where to eat, can also be done very cheaply.

Last but not least, Antiparos. It doesn't need a car, which means that you won't spend for petrol or rent, it has nice beaches, a beautiful -yet tiny- chora and if you are into some adventure, you can explore the caves.

Please add your own!!!

Thalia

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Hey all..wonderful suggestions;-) Always wanted to return to Kalymnos! Think you can pretty much find pretty 'economical' accommodations at many isles but it does take the searching..and networking if you're privvy to it..loads of great homey places at 20-25E per night..Can easily add all the Sporades to that list;-) Enjoy!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Are you sure? I don't know about Skiathos and Skopelos but Alonissos is pretty dear!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Hey Thalia..yes;-) Friends of mine who visited while honeymooning (in Skopelos)..returned again to Skopelos and when we finally went for a 'day trip' over to Alonissos..found a place up in Old Chora for the night with views they just couldn't depart from ~ sigh! They overnighted for around 25E I think..on the spot! That's what they like to think of as their 'Alonissos baby' today..but the dates don't work out..lol!! Enjoyin'!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Just try to keep in mind that we aren't looking for a destination with one cheap hotel.

We are looking for a destination with cheap accommodation, cheap food, cheap booze, cheap transportation even cheap ways to get there! :-)

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Leros isn't particularly cheap or easy to get to, but we always find that prices are lower than other islands when we get there. And it ticks the picturesque box, too.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

ILGAL, with 35 euros per ticket (economy class but it takes only 8 hours with the Blue Star) it's not that expensive!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Just to make a comparison to see what I mean, it's 60 euros to go to Alonissos.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Yes..transport wise, it is a bit more expensive to get to I guess (but I did pay less in May getting discount r/t air to Santorini!)..you can eat well at the local tavernas for around 10-15E or so per person;-) I know in Skopelos we never pay more than around 28E tops (usually anywhere from 20/22E) to include a couple of mains..apps..and at least half a litre wine..again, depending on how much you order!! Depends on where you go too of course..there are definetely pricier place but for the most part, the isle is blessed with loads of great locale tavernas with very reasonable prices! Enjoyin'!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

I know that Skopelos is cheap, my qusestion was about Alonissos. I have a friend who ownes a hotel and lives there from Spring till Autumn and she has told me several times how dear the prices are there. From hotels to supermarkets to restaurants.

cali
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Suggestions of cheap but yet picturesque islands.

Hi TH13 - I just made a post about a 6-7 day trip to greece (athens/santorini), but based on this... I'm tempted to go the cheaper low key route!

Using athens as a jumping point, do you have any recommendations on which island(s) I should go to? Ideally I'd like to view the typical "domed roofs and style of santorini" (are there other islands like that) and then nice beaches (2nd priority). Sadly, our trip is only 6-7 days, so we're limited. Any recs would realllly help me out. Thx so much!