We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wasps

Essex
Level Contributor
491 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Wasps

A constant complaint on many Greek islands seems to be about the numbers of wasps. Is any island less prone to this or is it something I am stuck with if I visit in July? I have a fear of wasps and mostly keep it under control when they are in small numbers, but if it's a major feature then Greece at the height of summer is probalby not a good idea for me.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wasps

Hi there

I don't think wasps are more prevalent in Greece than anywhere else, it's just that they are a bit larger in Greece so therefore, tend to be noticed more. No different than in the UK, give them a wide berth, and they will leave you alone. Start swiping at them and they will, like here, home in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wasps

It varies from place to place and year to year. You really can't tell. However, even if you end up holidaying at a wasp hotspot, if you take simple precautions, you should be OK. Wasps like cheese and sweet things, so if you're drinking orange juice or eating a cake or cheese pie, you will be better off staying indoors. Also stay away from flowers and vegetation. Obviously if you hear repeated reports of wasps for an island/location you're considering, you may like to change to another location to be on the safe side.

I've holidayed in Greece for the last 12 years and never been bitten once.

Essex
Level Contributor
491 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wasps

Thanks. I'm considering a number of different options for next July and because we want to go on holiday for 3 weeks it's important for me to research all options. Nothing worse that arriving somewhere and thinking I am there for the best part of a month if there are problems.

4. Re: Wasps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 07:15