We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I bring our beach chairs?

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I bring our beach chairs?

Is it reasonable to bring "wearever" beach chairs on our trip to Greece? Our first week will be on Amorgos and I am understanding that there are no sun beds for hire there on the beaches. I would imagine that I could check these backpack style chairs onto any flight or ferry just like you do luggage, however I would like to hear from someone who has tried this as I'd hate to have them confiscated along the way if this is not allowed.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I bring our beach chairs?

Seems like a lot of trouble to bring them all the way from Massachusetts. If you can get them on the airline, no one is going to confiscate them in Greece, though. Why not just lie on the sand with a towel or beach mat?

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I bring our beach chairs?

I guess if its fits in your luggage allowance I see no reason why not, though if it was me I'd be inclined just to buy something cheap locally and leave it behind.

I don't know where you are staying but often villas will come with a motley selection of stuff donated by previous occupants on their departure so it may not be needed at all.

If you do take them, be sure that whatever they are packed in can be reused on the way back. I'm thinking lots of duct tape and a canvas bag maybe?

Why not post on the Amorgos forum and see what can be bought locally for a few euros?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I bring our beach chairs?

Hi there

Bear in mind too that you can buy huge beach towels very cheaply in Greece and leave them there if you don't have room to take them home. Many places we have stayed at have had a real "Aladdin's cave" as Joe says and whilst I appreciate that no-one really wants to lay on someone else's old towels, we have often seen airbeds, chairs, parasols and other stuff which have been left behind.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I bring our beach chairs?

Come to think, the place where I stay has a few fold-up chairs lying around as well. I've never been inclined to carry one to the beach, but if I asked I'm sure I would be given permission to use one.

Re your other thread, I'm a beach reader myself, so take your point about a chair being more comfortable. Nevertheless, by the time you finish your trip, you may regret bringing the chairs with you, and having to lug them around on ferries, etc. Could that be why there are so many abandoned at the hotels? ;o)

If you want something extra for the beach, you would be better off bringing something to shelter you from sun and wind. Umbrellas often get blown away, but a lightweight beach tent would be ideal.

5. Re: Should I bring our beach chairs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 06:20