We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Greece Summer 2010?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Greece Summer 2010?

I am wondering whether people still feel that it is safe to travel to Greece this summer. With the economy in the precarious state that it is, I worry that strikes may affect our travel in and out of the Athens airport. (We are planning to go to the islands).

Any comments from anyone??

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Greece Summer 2010?

There are some strikes here and there, There is a strike affecting the Airport on April 22 -- but our knowledgeable Athens contributors say that strikes will not take place in the summer. Everything is going along as usual.... I have to tell you that even in May & early June it is hard to find a hotel room in Athens by now --- and this Forum is full of messages from people who are planning to be there on major visits.

I'm scheduled to arrive May 12 for a visit of 26 days, my 9th trip since 1999, so I have been there before when there was a strike, and it wasn't the end of he world. This time, I'm bringing along 5 newcomers, and I wouldn't do that if were worried. The Media has been having a field day -- especially CNN and BBC -- trying to whip up hysteria.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Greece Summer 2010?

Of course there are no certainties that strikes will not affect your in and out bound flights but it definitely safe to travel to Greece.

In my experience of travelling to Greece annually for the past five years I have encountered the odd strike but have never been seriously affected by any of them.

I am going to Greece next month - should there be any hiccups so be it - it could happen anywhere in Europe.

In all honesty I have been far more inconvenienced getting in and out of Italy than I ever have in Greece.

I suggest you go to Greece and enjoy your travels.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Greece Summer 2010?

Hi there

I wouldn't change your plans at all. Greece really needs your tourist euros like never before. The chances of anything affecting your trip is remote and as has been said, is just as likely to happen wherever you go.

4. Re: Safe to travel to Greece Summer 2010?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 07:16