We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Is it just me?

I have never had so much trouble trying to give my money to anyone!! I have tried to book tickets three times and I can't get past the credit card authorization page. It tells me the information does not agree with the records on file. I tried 2 different cards...no luck. The CC companies assure me the accounts are open and have no issues (no one else seems to have trouble taking them!!). I had the same problem last year in March. I finally had to call Aegean Airlines from the US to order tickets....and they never sent me the promised confirmation number.

Sorry for the rant, but this really ticks me off! One would think an industry and country that is much in need of an economic shot in the arm would make it a bit easier for people to spend their money....

Anyone else out there having these problems?

Bill

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Personally I've booked with Aegean online from the US without a problem. I have no idea what is creating problems for you...could be your browser/computer, could just be something about your credit card, could be something in the website's configuration on their end that doesn't agree with your connection or credit card info...who knows. But it's a bit extreme to paint the whole country and all its industries with the same brush. I've had trouble on occasion completing online transactions with merchants based in the US as well. Does that mean that they want to make it harder for people to spend their money? Greece's economic state (which, as has been mentioned ad nauseum on these boards) while not good, is no worse than several other countries...and comparatively speaking, the US isn't doing much better!).

I understand your frustration but let's keep separate issues separate! And as for booking with Aegean, if you continue to experience problems with their site in the future, try booking those same tickets through a consolidator such as Expedia. The price seems to be the same and Aegean's itineraries all seem to show up there.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

I bought tickets 2 days ago for first week in May with no problems, I wish I had problems! Not sure if I'll get there to use the tickets w/the strike and volcano this week!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

I bought tickets 2 days ago for first week in May with no problems, I wish I had problems! Not sure if I'll get there to use the tickets w/the strike and volcano this week!

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Thanks for the tip about the consolidators, Neo. I'll check them out.

I respect your opinion regarding the separate issue. I enjoyed my time in Greece, but some of my experiences there are unrivaled in any of the numerous countries I have visited. No where else have I been subjected to things like wildcat strikes by travel industry workers that rely on the very people they are inconveniencing for their livelihood. Ever hear of "biting the hand that feeds you"? While I would enjoy a healthy debate on this topic, this is not the forum for it.

Happy travels.

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Thanks for the input Ischaaf!

Hope things work out for you. That volcano is really messing things up for European travelers. Not much you can do about that. The strike....well... There is a reason these types of strikes are illegal in the US...some one figured out long ago they don't accomplish anything.

Headed your way in two weeks! 6 days of sun and golf in/around Phoenix for the 10th year. Love that Valley of the Sun!

Have a great time in Greece.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Lufthansa and British Airways just recently had some pretty substantial strikes of their own. Not to mention the industrial action that is commonplace in a lot of other European countries, such as France and Italy. And heck, it wasn't too long ago that NYC experienced a pretty substantial transit strike of its own. Were they "wildcat" strikes as well? To say that this is somehow only a Greek problem is absurd, or that the problem is "unrivaled" and that the strikes are "wildcat" strikes. Agree or not with the premise of the strikes, but I would rather have a society where one has the right to strike and to disagree, than a "free" society where this right has been "banned." Just my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Greece is in a financial predicament as are Portugal, Ireland and Spain. to name but a few. In Greece, the Government is having to, or at least trying to impose pay freezes, higher taxes and so on in an attempt to cut it's deficit. Fuel for example, is now more expensive than in the Uk where fuel was always traditionally the highest priced in Europe. Add to that, that salaries/wages in Greece are low by most other EU countries and you can fully sympathise with the workforce.

Of course workers should have the right to strike in a democratic country. British Airways are in a deep hole right now and the cabin staff have gone on strike several times to try to get their points across to a senior management that are blinkered and uncaring. What else can they do? - put up with it ad nauseum or make their voices heard?

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Bill -

Evidently you've been very lucky in the timing of your trips. I've travelled during transportation strikes in many countries, including the US. Generally speaking, the European rail strikes aren't much of a problem since they inform the public well in advance of the schedule so alternate arrangements can be made.

BTW, I've booked tickets on the Aegean site from my home in the US, from my home in Canada, and from a hotel in Germany, all with no problems at all. My Amex card goes through immediately. I wouldn't dream of using my Visa since so many folks report problems with those on many transportation sites in many countries.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

PA, is it possible that you are supplying an outdated "security number" -- the thing on the back of the visa card or mastercard?? I had to get a new card, and forgot to change the security number on my bulletin board ... and was ready to get really angry about a booking refusal... until I remembered to look at my new card. Ooops.

I agree... sometimes going through an online booking outfit is a work-around. I had to buy some Blue Star ferry tickets ahead (unusual, but this was for the last day of a BUSY holiday weekend). The B.S. online software went on the fritz!! But I got around it by using a booking agency.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aegean Airlines Website Issues....AGAIN!

Bill -- it's not just you!!

The exact same thing just happened to me when trying to book flights with Aegean. Never had any problems with them before, or anyone else for that matter. I tried twice using my Mastercard but got an error message saying the CC information was incorrect. I double and triple checked, everything was right, but Aegean wouldn't accept my CC details. Then I used my AMEX and hey presto, the transaction went through.

I'm not happy about this either, particularly as the CC fee I was charged was pretty hefty (20€ for two tix) plus I have now ended up with three travel insurance policies and have to contact Mondial Assistance at my own expense to cancel two of them. Grrrr!

I am NOT a happy bunny.