We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Can anyone tell me what the current cost is to mail a postcard from Greece to the US? When I was in Europe last year, we got scammed trying to mail postcards from Slovakia and I want to be prepared.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

It's around 70 - 90 cents of a euro for simple mail if i recall correctly.

Not 100% sure on the up to the cent cost though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Greek Postal Service cost list is ( in Greek only i am afraid ) here:

http://www.elta.gr/pricelist1.pdf

Cost for a postcard can be found scrolling down. It's Zone 2, i guess a postcard is the lightest item you can find.

So, cost is 67c for simple mail.

If it's a heavy card in an envelope it may go up to next weight category which is 1 euro and 10c over 50 grams.

Other categories exist too but they refer to registered or express mail which i assume you are not interested in :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Postcards to any destination outside Greece cost 72 cents.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

You're unlikely to be scammed for this anyway, many shops that sell postcards have the stamps too, in the correct amounts, so you won't need to visit a post office. If you do have to use the post office they are very good about correct pricing, I send lots of letters, postcards & parcels & never had reason to question the cost.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Totally agree with Yiassas.

Will you be in Athens? If so, there are post office branches at Syntagma, near Omonia and also at the airport.

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

I arrive on April 30. We will be in Greece for 10 days total. I want to buy stamps and postcards hopefully on the day we land. Then I can take my time writing the cards and mail sometime before we head back to the States. It is fine with me that I will beat the cards back by a bit. Part of the fun is waiting to see how long it takes for the postcards to arrive. Thanks to all for the info on costs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Hey YoungDubFan:-) And it can take a while..especially to the States..and especially if you mail them from the isles! I find the ones I mail in Athens, Thessaloniki, make it within a week..from the isles, it's taken up to 2 months..lol!! Anyway, you can hit the post office right at the airport upon arrival..it's right in the arrivals hall..I've done this as well myself a couple of times..it is indeed a time-saver! Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

I would check the Greek postal service shop IN Athens airport, when landing.

More info here www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=1008&langid=2

The post office IN the airport is right where you 'll be exiting your flight.

Arrival Hall is a simple very understandable long and wide corridor Hall, so you just walk a bit and look for the Blue Hermes logo :) Purchase all the stamps you may need and you are ready in less than 2 - 3 minutes :)

Central post office in Athens on the other hand is always quite busy :)

Also, tt's much more cool posting a postcard from each place you are, either than returning in Athens and posting them all together :)

So, purchase all stamps you wish at the airport, when arriving and ejoy it :)

Btw, these are some very cool stamps :)

-------------------

( . . . )

Hmm. I am so stupid. Just read Litsa's post :) She already prvided the "airport post office" tip :)

Edited: 20 April 2010, 19:03
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

In my experience, postcards posted at the airport arrive the soonest (1-2 weeks to the US) whereas postcards posted in random post boxes, especially on the islands sometimes never arrive at all.

The post office at the airport is open from 7 AM – 9 PM, but of course you can post stamped items any time.

If you arrive after 9 PM or before 7 AM, your next best choice for buying stamps or posting items is the post office at Syntagma on the corner of Mitropoleos street & Syntagma Sq. The Syntagma post office is open till 8 PM Mon-Fri, and 2 PM on Saturdays & Sundays (maybe 1:30 PM on Sundays, not sure). There is a priority queuing system; you need to get a ticket from a special machine as you enter. This ticket shows your queuing number and how long you will have to wait to be served. Queuing numbers are displayed on a big screen, so you know when it's your turn. You can take a seat while you wait, or if it's a long wait pop out for a stroll. It's very civilised.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Another tip:

Clearly addressed cards will eventually arrive, even when posted from remote villages. Please PRINT the recipient's name and address very clearly, in this format:

My Friend

0000 Street Name

CITY NAME ST 00000

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Give your cards a better chance by making the name and address easy to read. A large percentage of the people you'll encounter in Greece speak at least some English, but reading handwritten English script may be asking too much! What chance do you think mail with an address hastily scrawled in Greek script would have of making it if mailed in a tiny town here in the States?

And, YoungDubFan, I'm curious about the scam in Slovakia... did you pay someone (at a hotel or shop perhaps) cash to buy stamps and mail cards for you, or was this at a government-run post office?

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost to Mail a Postcard from Greece to US?

Thanks for the tips. I actually use typed address labels when I travel for the postcards. That seems to make things a bit easier. As to the issue in Slovakia, we went to a post office in a smaller town in the eastern part of the country. No one in my party spoke Slovak and no one in the post office seemed to speak any English. We tried to buy stamps for postcards. It cost my sister almost 45 Euros to mail 12 postcards. She was the first in line. My mom and I decided not to buy stamps. Then when we were in Vienna, we got stamps for about 1 Euro each. I'm still not sure exactly what happened in Slovakia, if they were taking advantage of us since we didn't speak Slovak, if they just didn't understand what we wanted, or if that was how much it really cost, but it was interesting.