We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

We were scheduled to spend about 2-3 wks island hopping in Greece this July, but are now unsure if we should stick with this itinerary or if we should scrap Europe this summer, and go to another area entirely. (This was part of a longer Europe itinerary, but the more northern areas have been scrapped)

I am wondering for people who are planning to be in Greece (Crete & the Cyclades) in July, if your travel plans have changed because of the recent volcanic events? I would love to hear about what others are thinking.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

I'm travelling to Greece in May/June and have no intention of changing my travel plans. Am thinking positive and really expect that the current situation with the ash will be long gone by then. Even if it isn't, longhaul flights into Athens would be less affected than those to central and northern Europe. Once in Greece, you can travel by ferry.

July is still a long way off. I wouldn't be anxious about it at this point. There is plenty of time to change your plans if need be :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

The flights have resumed yesterday, so I don't think the volcanic activity would disrupt your trip. On another note, Athens is quite far from Iceland and so far the flights there were not disrupted at all. Only northern Europe was affected.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

It does seem very premature to cancel plans for Greece, and really for anywhere in Europe, three months ahead of time. Flights are already beginning to resume in the affected areas and though it will still be a little while before things are completely back to normal, it's highly doubtful that flights would be in jeopardy that far ahead barring another natural disaster or catastrophe.

And as was correctly pointed out, Greek airports have not been affected at all, with the only flight cancellations being for flights to/from the Northern and Central European countries that have borne the brunt of the impact of the volcanic ash. Even nonstop transatlantic flights to/from the USA have gone on as scheduled, and in fact, Delta seemed to have two flights for Athens today...wondering if the second flight is meant to pick up passengers who were stranded elsewhere in Europe and who may have made their way to Greece.

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

My concern is if this volcano keeps erupting peridoically, as has happened in the past. My thought was, what if the ash makes the skies 'cloudy,' and thus affects the weather? Part of our reason for heading to greece is for some 'fun in the sun' :) I suppose even if these types of eruptions keep ocurring greece won't see much ash...

We were spending a significant amount of time in Paris and Iceland on this itinerary. Now we don't feel comfortable fly in/out of those places, which is making us rethink all of our itinerary. We haven't bought plane tickets yet, which gives us more flexibility in terms of changing plans. But i just don't know right now...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

Greece is indeed so South in the continent that we saw no trace on the skies of any ash cloud at all. Distance from Iceland on a straight line is more or less 2,500 miles. That's appx. the same distance from West Coast to East Coast on American continent.

No definite indication exists on whether the volcano will keep erupting, still flights have started again and the whole thing seems that it will most probably de-scale.

Even if eruptions start again , Greece is quite far from the whole area and not really affected except of course flights from / to Northern Europe that have been cancelled for 3 - 4 days.

Edited: 21 April 2010, 18:33
Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

Here in our part of the UK if it wasn't for the flights being cancelled I don't think anyone would know there had been an eruption. Certainly we have had clear blue skies for the last few days.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

The phrase we have in the UK is "you big girls blouse".

<<My thought was, what if the ash makes the skies 'cloudy,' and thus affects the weather? Part of our reason for heading to greece is for some 'fun in the sun' :) I suppose even if these types of eruptions keep ocurring greece won't see much ash...>> I

That volcano is far too small to affect the weather anywhere let alone in Greece. If its thick enough to affect the skies in Greece the ash will blanket that entire latitude worldwide.

Paris was just as sunny as Iceland and London and Greece while the volcano was erupting. Ironically some of the few flights to continue were in Iceland because the ash was blowing away from it !

<<We were spending a significant amount of time in Paris and Iceland on this itinerary. Now we don't feel comfortable fly in/out of those places, which is making us rethink all of our itinerary. >>

Another volcano could spring up almost anywhere. yes Iceland, but also where are you thinking of going instead?

Caribbean? - there's Montserrat, still bubbling away. Plus hurricanes.

Far East? - "Krakatoa east of Java" springs to mind. And Typhoons.

USA? If Yellowstone goes, there wont be a USA. And Hurricanes. And Earthquakes.

Reminds me of the story of the US guy in the late 30's who could see a world war coming so he moved to an inconspicuous speck in the Pacific - Iwo Jima.

Edited: 21 April 2010, 20:12
8. Re: Greek Islands in July - Is Iceland affecting your plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 07:17