We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

We are scheduled to be Greece from May 9-13. Just wondering if it is safe to go there with all that is going on and riots in Athens. I'm getting mixed info, as to the airports and tourist site being closed. Any info would help.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

There are already two threads on this subject currently.

Look for the one entitled "safety" and the Other "100 rioting, 3 dead, etc."

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

I wasn't aware but thanks anyway.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,748 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

Airports were closed by the same reason that the sites were closed - it was a general strike in Greece both in oublic and private sector. This is not something that happens all the time.

Strikes and eventual demonstrations are announced beforehand and mostly only in Athens - maybe in some of the other big cities.

Riots are restricted to a small number of mobs in Athens, and are in or around the Syntagma Square and National Assembly in Athens.

Even in Athens you will be safe if you just stay away from Syntagma on days demonstrations are announced.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
272 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

How will I find out if the Greek government shuts down airlines and ferries for our travel July 1-14? Is there a website with current news about this?

Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
5. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

The Greek government doesn't shut anything down. There is no website that forewarns people of union strikes and stoppages. Check here on tripadvisor, as soon as a strike is announced one of the local DEs posts the information. Look out for posts by Xaroula, Dianabiz or Nick_Arch clearly titled "Strike action on such and such date" or similar.

Keep in mind that none of them have access to a crystal ball, so they can't tell you what will happen in June, July, August, September - or May 2011.

Edited: 06 May 2010, 11:54
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,647 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

If there was a loud protest demonstration in Times Square, would that mean that tourists should avoid going to the USA, or even avoid going to New York?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,748 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

... or to follow up the last post here:

Lately I have seen that Times Square in NY has been evacuated twice the last week - one because of a car bomb, the second time because of a suspected bomb.

Should these events prevent us from going to NY - or to US ? .....

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
272 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

I 'm not concerned about the loud protests in Athens, but rather the thought of transportation strikes due to the economic crisis. Am keeping my fingers crossed that airlines and ferries will operate.

9. Re: Traveling to Greece...Is it safe right now.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:16