We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

1. Greece covers an area of around 51,000 square miles. If you take away the one square mile where there might be problems in Athens that leaves 50,999 left for you to enjoy the peace, the history & the beauty.

2. Greece has a population of around 11 million people. If you take away the minority of troublemakers that still leaves 10 million plus - most of whom will welcome you with a smile & traditional warmth & hospitality.

3. As with the 9/11 terrorists we, the majority, should resist intimidation by a miniscule minority who would try to prevent us leading our lives in a way that we choose.

Greece & Greek people need our support in these difficult times - we have all taken so much enjoyment from visits there that it is time to give something back. I can understand families with young children now being apprehensive about staying in Athens but hey! there is so much more to Greece & Athens will be there for you another year. Try somewhere different! It is a big country.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 17:42
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Bump.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Are people going to stop visiting New York after last week's bomb scare?

Did people stop visiting Paris after the race riots there a few years ago, which lasted for days?

Have people stopped visiting Spain, a country with its own history of domestic terrorism and peaceful mass protest?

Have people stopped visiting Genova or Seattle or other cities which have seen riots whenever international organizations such as the IMF were in town?

Did tourism in California collapse after the LA Riots in 1992?

The answer to all of the above is no.

Should people stop visiting Greece now, at a time when the country needs the true support of the international community more than ever?

The answer is again, no.

Thank you, Tsipouro, for your wonderful post.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Look up many similar questions and responses.

Strikes and eventual demonstrations are announced beforehand and mostly only in Athens - maybe in some of the other big cities.

Riots are restricted to a small number of mobs in Athens, and are in or around the Syntagma Square and National Assembly in Athens.

Even in Athens you will be safe if you just stay away from the Syntagma area on days demonstrations are announced.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 19:08
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

I think the decision to travel has to be a personal one in the end & if you do not feel safe, then no amount of reassurance from our very helpful, intelligent & calm locals on here will make much difference. But ask yourself - why are these people sitting at their desks & taking so much time out of their busy lives to bring you the truth about what is going on? They have no commercial interest in tourism, they are not getting paid to put out a story. They are getting on with their working lives . . . . so there is no valid reason not to get on with our leisure & pleasure. Those who live & work in Athens may have to travel through areas they would rather avoid at the moment in order to go about their daily routines. Visitors can be more selective - with the freedom to go where we choose & change our minds on a whim, or to suit circumstances.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

It's a weird world. I'm from Northern Ireland and due to fly tomorrow (if Irish airspace is open!) for my first trip to Athens. What has amazed me is that several people here have commented on the demonstations/riots/disturbances whatever you want to call them. It is awful that 3 people have lost their lives but in NI thousands have died during the troubles. I have quickly replied to them on how we lived through the Troubles here for years and life went on. The tourists who did come here, almost all had a great time and many students who studied at my local uni ended up falling in love with the area and stayed on or still return on holiday regularly. Most tourists never saw any trouble. I lived in Belfast as a student and never saw any major incidents.

Fingers crossed I get to Athens and I expect to have a great trip - and I would be surprised if I even see any disturbances other than on tv.

Great point, well made tsipouro. Things happen all over the world - it's part of life but a very very small part. I truly hope this does not put anyone off travelling to Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Tsipouro, your support is much appreciated.

Thanks for posting ponaire - perspective is a serious weapon!! am sure Irish air space will re-open just for you tomorrow!

Have a great trip,

Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

I'm traveling to Athens on Monday. Is it safe?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Wow. Anyway, ponaire, best wishes that the clouds clear and enjoy your trip.

Karen

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Well said tsipouro!

A little perspective is appreciated and lets hope being read by those posting the constant "are we going to be safe in Greece" posts.

Personally, I cannot wait to arrive at the end of the month and am happy to spend my money to help the economy (even if only a litte) - I only wish I could stay longer.

And should there be strikes or other events SO BE IT. I'll look on it as an adventure and change my holiday accordingly. Any time spent in Greece is a good time in my book.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Good Reasons to Visit Greece NOW!

Me too. I have 34 more sleeps and can hardly wait.

Karen