We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

Hello all,

My wife and I are scheduled to vacation in Greece starting this Saturday for 10 days. We are scheduled to arrive in Athens and stay there 3-4 days before going to Crete and the Peloponnese.

Obviously, with the civil unrest situation, we are considering cancelling our vacation and instead spending time in Germany. Our main concern is not necessarily our safety, but our ability to move around and get out of the country (since public workers have been striking). Also, what is the point of visiting a city where the tourist sites are closed and (I'm guessing) many businesses are closed as well?

I heard that there will be another demonstration early next week by the public union. Does anybody know the date this is supposed to be?

Any advice from those there is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

The sights were closed for 1 day. Ditto the airport. Shops, restaurants etc. were open. Unless you're going to be in Athens for just one day and a massive public sector strike has been called for exactly that day, I wouldn't worry too much.

BTW German employees (airport, trains etc.) also go on strike from time to time. And their airports closed recently because of the ash cloud (the volcano is still erupting). And it rains a lot in May. Just saying ;-)

Edited: 06 May 2010, 19:05
Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
791 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

I am just shortly saying that you shouldn't worry about what is going on, as long as you don't take part in one of the strikes! :-)

As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't be that worried.

Sometimes, the news tend to overeact a little bit as well...

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

Thanks!

Does anybody know when the ADEDY strike is next week?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

Not even ADEDY know yet. At least there's nothing on their website.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

I object to this caviler attitude concerning someone else's precious time. Its certainly possible to overly exaggerate the disruption caused by the demonstrations and strikes in Greece but it is silly to rank the risk of strikes shutting down German transportation with the risk of strikes shutting down Greek transportation over the next couple of months.

I will be in Greece in the end of June (8 days in Greece). During that time I have planned on 4 days involving some form of long distance transportation (plane or train). Should I worry? I don't think its a huge deal but I will say that a air traffic controller or train operator strike during those 4 days would really mess up the trip. Similarly, while I do not feel any worry about physical danger in Athens even a one day public sector strike that shut down the sights would be a fairly big hit on my 2+ days there.

I can hang loose with the best of them but when there is no real info available about when such strikes might be called it is a little nerve wracking.

6. Re: Leaving for Greece this Saturday - should I cancel my trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 05:36