We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler - Greece

staffs
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female traveler - Greece

Hi, I would like to ask for some expert and local knowledge on travelling alone as a female traveller to Greece.

I'm planning on goin to Greece within the next two weeks (if I wait any longer I'll talk myself out of it). I will either be flying into Santorini or Crete. I will only be staying for 7 days, so would like to make the most of my time there.

I'm 28 years old and want to avoid any central party places. I am going in the hope of finding some peace and solice following a difficult start to 2011.

Firstly can you tell me if I will be safe travelling alone in Greece? Is there anywhere that I should avoid?

Secondly do you have any recomendations for any of the beautiful and quieter islands that are easily accessable from with Santorini or Crete? Do you think I should find a base for myself and travel to and from any island from there and return back to the hotel each night?

I hope that you can understand my ramblings, I write with both nervousness and excitement...

I look forward to any replies and help offered

thanks

Oliva

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler - Greece

>>I'm planning on goin to Greece within the next two weeks<<

Best to arrive after Easter, even better in early May. Better weather, better ferry connections, better accommodation availability.

>>I'm 28 years old and want to avoid any central party places. I am going in the hope of finding some peace and solice following a difficult start to 2011.<<

There are no party places this early in the season, so no problems there.

>>Firstly can you tell me if I will be safe travelling alone in Greece? Is there anywhere that I should avoid?<<

Very safe. Do a search on the forum (use the search box above) to access previous discussions on the subject.

>>Secondly do you have any recomendations for any of the beautiful and quieter islands that are easily accessable from with Santorini or Crete? Do you think I should find a base for myself and travel to and from any island from there and return back to the hotel each night?<<

Forget about other islands. 7 days are barely long enough for Crete. You'll be lucky to be able to fit Santorini in without rushing.

Use www.openseas.gr to check ferry availability, Olympic and Aegean for flights.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler - Greece

Hi,

Agree with Tinsey. You will find that the islands aren't busy at this time of the year (except Easter) and you won't have difficulty finding somewhere quiet.

Greece is very safe, I have travelled solo several times and personal safety has never been an issue.

Should you decide to fly to Santorini - you could easily spend a week there however Folegandros is fairly close by, though not too sure on the ferry connections at this time of the year.

Go for it, you'll be glad you did!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler - Greece

Hi there

if you fly straight to Santorini, you could combine that with another island. If you decide to fly to Crete, then stick with just Crete, where there's enough to do and see to last for ten years. Assuming you will rely on buses to get around, look at staying somewhere reasonably close to the capital Iraklion ( where you'd fly to anyway) - from the bus station there, you can access many places on the island quite cheaply.

Greece is the safest country in Europe - take the same common-sense precautions that you would anywhere else and you''ll encounter no issues at all.

4. Re: Solo female traveler - Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:18