We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

We need to end up in Bodrum in late June. We'll be flying into Athens and are hoping to make our way by ferry across to Bodrum in 8-9 days. We're looking for not too many tourists, lots of authentic Greek charm and beautiful scenery. Don't need too much in the way of nightlife and activities. I haven't been to Greece in thirty years and am nervous that nothing of the Greece from back then will still be around. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

Well, Gertrude, you are gong at a good time... everything is open, but mobs of European travellers will not quite have descended upon GReece yet.

To minimize travel time & maximize island time, connections matter, so tell us what DATE and TIME of DAY you arrive Airport, and whether you want to spend a day or 2 in Athens. Tell us this. I think you would be DELIGHTED at the change in Athens, very blue skies (compared with 1980s smog). Here's a great short slide-show by TA's "StanBR" of PLlaka area & landmarks: travel.webshots.com/slideshow/570719132pdjjHG -- and there's the new Acropolis Museum to check out & much more...

ROUTES -- This ferry site -- http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp -- will show your options to get to the Turkey Coast in a couple of Hops. One option is NAXOS to MYKONOS (for ferry connection only) then to SAMOS to Kusadasi & bus to Bodrum. IN order to see the "pattern of service" of ferries, put in your 2 ports, leave the month at "6" (June) and the day at "any" and u see all sailings.

ISLE #1 - An early start from Central Athens to a 7:30 ferry for the Blue Star to NAXOS for 2-3 Days. Naxos' tiny airport only takes 50-seater plane 1 x a day, and seaport can't take big cruise ships... so it is still not overwhelmed by tourism. Try a nice 10 room family-run lodging like Villa Naxia ... on a beach, walkable from port (but they'll pick you up). 3-4 days on Naxos is an ideal way to reacquaint yourself to Greece -- lots of history, lovely port town, rent a car for a day to visit dramatic landscapes inland, enjoy a dance concert atop town's high peak. Here's stanbr's views of Naxos delights travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

ISLE #2 - Get an aftenoon Ferry to Mykonos, stay one night just to see how IT has changed since you were a backpacker, and catch a noon ferry next day to Vathy (Samos Town) on SAMOS.

ISLE #3 - SAMOS ... You can start with a bus tour around the island to check the whole thing out, or just rent a car & head straight to the SouthWest corner, couple of lovely beaches, lots of hikes through inland villages that time forgot. Check out a place like his on little sandy Limnionas beach -- Ioanna's Apts http://www.studiosioanna.com/

TURKEY -- daily 45 minute ferries get you to Kusadasi, busses to Bodrun.

OR -----------------------

Fly straight from ATHENS airport to SAMOS... then get a Ferry to CHIOS (now THERE"s an Island that isn't over-run!!) for 4 days each, then ferry to Turkey.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 05:31
new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

Thank you so much. I'm going to research all of your suggestions today. We expect to arrive in Athens on June10 or 11, spend two or three nights in Athens, and then head out to the islands. I'm traveling with my fifteen-year-old daughter, who is a terrific traveller, and up for pretty much anything. I was hoping in particular to include Folegandros, and had assumed we would end up getting to Bodrum via the ferry from Kos, which runs quite frequently. We need to be in Bodrum by the 22nd.

You know, I never saw Mykonos in the seventies, because even then it sounded glitzy and over the top! I did see Santorini and remember the donkey ride up the hill and the empty black sand beaches. I am still debating whether a night or two there would be a good idea.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

SANTORINI -- If you can work out the ferries, you could do Santorini as a "drive-by" -- i.e., stay 1 night, mainly concentrate on the view, skip the black beaches.... and tell the 15 year old not to expect to fnd the backgrounds for "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants".. as you know from NYC, backgrounds are snippets from here and from there, and in real life, you may never find them! (I lived on Upper West Side during allthat movie-making... Goodbye Girl, Harry Met Sally, You've got Mail, Romancing the Stone, and we were always amused at how they mashed-together different neighborhoods completely).

OTHER ISLANDS -- see gertrude, why you should share more at the start?? You are not in Witness Protection, it is OK to tell more. My advice was really for a couple -- a 15 year old may be a different story. Folegandros is lovely (Xaroula steered me to Anemousa Hotel, I loved it!) ... but it's mainly about the views, and walking around, and hikes. Not a lot "to do" for teens. Same may apply to Samos. When I've been in Naxos in June, LOTS of teens around ... and it's a very safe family environs, u could let her wander from beach to town & back, whatever.

Kos ? From UK friends on this forum, I gather it has become very much a package-holiday enclave, even hard to find short-term bookings (check Rough Guide on this). Of course, it does have the link to Turkey. If I were picking a jumping-off spot tht would also be exciting interesting for both, I would choose Rhodes Old Town -- castles! Moats! and you can walk on TOP of the 600-year-old Walls. Wow. and here's a thought!! ...

Athens (3 days) Naxos (3 days) to Santoirni (2 nights) then Rhodes (3 nights) if you time right you can get the OVENIGHT brand-new Blue Star I or II, that goex 3x per week. You sail at 20 past midnight, wake up n Rhodes Harbor. I've even got a cute B & B (the Pink Elephant) for you, or a nice TA-raves small hotel Hotel Spot, in Old Town. Think about it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

Hey and welcome Gertrude:-) If you're arriving on the 10th/11th..assuming here that you'll spend at least 3 nights in Athens (for 2 full days)..you're looking at heading out to the isles on the 14th latest which bottom line will give you 8 nights till you need to be in Bodrum on the 22nd! I don't know what type of travelers you are..like the 'fast pace' or more the 'quality vs quanitity' type;-) Nonetheless, would look into just heading straight to Santorini for a couple of nights which would give you 1 full day to explore..and make sure to take your daughter down to Ammoudi below Oia for the walk around the seawall there..she'll recognize it for sure;-) With your remaining 6 nights, would see if your schedule would fit into the Blue Star overnight ferry to Rhodes..this isle is relatively large with lots to see/do..the Old Town alone can easily take up a couple of days..not to mention some of the wonderful beaches..Lindos..Prasonissos where the Aegean and Med Seas meet..unique;-) There are distances to travel here so even with 4 nights/3 full days, you'd be hard-pressed to take it all in! Check out www.spothotelrhodes.gr/ which is smack central in the Old Town and run by a wonderful Canadian guy Lee who takes great care of you;-) You can then ferry over to Kos for easy access to Bordrum for a night..or 2! Of course, up to you to plot out your itinerary according to your prefs, etc... www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ are good sites to check for ferries as time approaches! Happy planning..and Enjoy!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

Litsa --- Great minds in the same channel!!! -- see my previous post, re the midnight boat to Rhodes ....Spot hotel, etc. Are we doing ESP or what.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

..saw it Jan;-) Just an alternate itinerary as well as providing some links;-)) Enjoyin'!

7. Re: route from Athens to Bodrum Turkey in 9 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 20:19