We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
740 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where?

Hi all,

We haven't had this years holiday to Parga yet but are thinking there might be a chance we could get away next year at whit week. I believe Whit starts on 4th June next year but we would be able to go from 1st June. The problem is we just don't know where to go, it's obviously got to be Greece but where? We have already been to a few places including Parga, Thassos, Crete, Kefalonia, Skiathos and Halkidiki. We really enjoyed those places although Crete was our least favourite! Can anyone suggest anywhere that might take our fancy, we are a couple that enjoys good tavernas and places where it's not overrun with english tourists as we like to feel that we are away from it all. I understand package holidays will of course have the brits but is there somewhere that many of us haven't discovered yet? We do enjoy relaxing on the beach but do need to be able to get out of resort and discover greek villages etc. I have been looking at Thomson and Thomas cook as they have 2012 hols available however it does seem to be quite expensive. Does anyone know of other tour operators that have their 2012 hols out yet? One last thing (yes we do want cream on it) we would like to fly from an airport that isn't too far. Doncaster, East Midlands, Birmingham or Manchester.

I hope someone can help,

many thanks,

Michaela

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where?

Lesvos, a large island with a lot of diversity & very little of it has concessions to tourism. To get the most from it a car is essential though. We stayed in 3 different bases so we could explore most of the island.

I'm not up to date with who does the packages there, but I think Thomsons are one of them.

Some photos from all around the island here,

flickr.com/photos/…

The Peloponnese is an obvious answer too, yake a look at the rest of my photos, there are hundreds all around the Pelops, especially Messinia.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 18:46
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where?

BTW, for the Peloponnese look at Manos/Thomas Cook, Sunvil Olympic & Simply Greece.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where?

why not be brave and do-it-yourself? you've been several times already on a package so you know how things work. Easyjet have several destinations in Greece flying from various UK airports so you could easily end up somewhere not full with brits on holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where?

You could check out Limnos as well, one of the less touristy islands of Greece. Tends to be frequented more by expats from the US, Australia, Canada etc returning to their roots.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where?

Agree, try the indy route. Easyjet fly Manchester to Athens then either a short hop on a plane to an island or take a ferry. If you want a holiday without the Brits abroad then choose somewhere like Amogos or Syros in the Cyclades or Chios in the Aegean??

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
740 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where?

Wow , thanks for all your advice. And we have been looking at Lesvos and the Peloponesse they look amazing. Truly our kind of place. As for going independently whenever I have tried to look at that option it always turns out to be much more expensive. I will have another look though as quite alot of people on here seem to do it that way. Many thanks for all of your input and please keep it comming.

Kind regards

Michaela

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
740 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where?

Sorry I meant coming not comming!!

8. Re: Where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 05:30