We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in Restaurants

Uttoxeter, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Smoking in Restaurants

When will we see smoking banned in eating establishments in Parga and in the rest of Greece? . What could be a perfect end to the day is ruined by exposure to second hand smoke.I love the town but it seems that there is a excessive level of smoking before,during and after meals.Maybe even a non smoking area for starters please?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

There are many smoking-free establishments and outside seating at smoking ones; especially now that it is Summer, you won't have any problem to sit outside.

Hopefully, we won't see smoking banned in Greece, since we can all make our choices and have our meals, coffees, desserts etc in a smoking or non-smoking place/area.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 22:03
Uttoxeter, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Last week it averaged 28 Degrees in Parga.Sitting outside was a must.I dont have any problem sitting outside or inside.Could not see any evidence of smoking restrictions at any restaurants to be honest. So in effect there was no choice.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I haven't been to Parga and I can't tell what is going on there but what I do in Athens is call a rstaurant in advance and ask. If it is non-smoking, I skip, if it is smoking, I go.

Besides, if you sit outside then there's nothing to worry about.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I've never been to Parga but here in Folegandros the smoking ban (indoors) is NEVER and I mean NEVER enforced. Smoking is indoors in every establishment that I know of.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Was there not some years ago a new law, which stated there must be designated area indoors restaurant ? However, this was never taken seriously, as taverna owners feared losing business.

I do not see what is the problem with outside smoking.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

According to existing laws, all indoor spaces in restaurants or cafeterias are no smoking. Crystal clear.

All said from smokers about "freedom of choice" or the hypothetical existence of smoking / no smoking restaurants is pure bs. Simply put, smokers can't accept the no smoking campaign and keep puffing their smoke in indoor spaces. Crystal clear :) Unfrtunately, government is not taking any active measure for protecting those that are no smokers.

Law is clear ( no desginated spaces but no smoking at all in indoor spaces, so this is a total ban in indoors spaces ) but it is not followed by establishments nor enforced by authorities.

Only measure that has reduced smokers' numbers here is the price increase of the pack.

I guess, if the price of the pack reaches 10 euros, smokers will say "their democratic right to smoke" is supressed. Mu ha ha :) Tragic.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 07:34
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

The Greeks have never taken any notice of these type laws seriousely. It's the same with crash helmets, motoring laws etc.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 07:48
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I wonder what would happen if, for example, local NHS said you 'll not be covered for any injuries if you get involved in a motorcycle accident not wearing helmet.

Then they'd probably start taking it seriously :)

Kifissia, Greece
Level Contributor
17 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

That's the thing about Greek Law. It exists, but there are so many people who don't conform with it. In theory, smoking ban is applied. In practice, one can still smoke almost everywhere.

Uttoxeter, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I think the problem is made worse by tourists who seem to be making up for lost time as a result imposed restrictions in the respective countries. I am certain they smoke more per and without thought for their surroundings. The Brits are one of the worst. For me it starts at the departure lounge and the duty free shops at the airpots.There is aggressive marketing at point of sale support. I am sure this needs to be looked at. Also the Holiday companies should stop encouraging us to take day trips to Albania to “top up” on our duty frees. We actually had a comparison of cigarette prices by our rep at our welcome meeting. Highly irresponsible. I just don’t get the freedom of choice argument when it comes to inflicting second hand smoke on non smokers. It is proven without doubt that it is dangerous. Also the definition of “ outside” is too vague. If there is a roof over you then in my view its inside. Greece is a fantastic country with great people. Please impose the restrictions that you already have. You will benefit in the long term.

Coming from Scotland we had the prophets of doom who stated the smoking ban would be apocalyptic to the tourist and pub industry. This never materialised.