We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek sailing honeymoon

11 posts
Save Topic
Greek sailing honeymoon

My future husband and I are chartering a sailboat (double hulled) and crew for an approximately 2 week cruise through the Greek isles for our honeymoon. Is September an ok time to do this weather wise? I have heard the islands can basically shut down after the summer - should we worry about this affecting our trip? Has anyone done something like this? If so, any suggestions of which islands to hit, to skip, to spend more than a day exploring are greatly appreciated. I know we have to do our reserach but your suggestions have always been a wonderful jumping off point for past trips. Thank you!!!!!

Arlington, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek sailing honeymoon

Congrats! I have not personally been to the Greek isles, but one of my best friends of many years is a Greek citizen and lives in Athens. Lately we have been in touch about my consideration of a trip there in October. My friend suggests my planning trips to Santorini, Myconos and Crete. Since you will be traveling via sailboat, you may not wish a hotel, but, if so, these 3 islands are believed to have fantastic prices. My friend indicated September may still offer hot temperatures there with mid October being a preferred period. Specifics of these 3 islands are not yet known to me so cannot extend further information about them. Happy Sailing!

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek sailing honeymoon

Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry it took me so long to respond. We are now married and are looking to plan the sail in the beginning of June. The islands you mentioned are on our list. Thanks again!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek sailing honeymoon

Congratulations !

You should consider weather conditions in general when planning your honeymoon trip, so you can enjoy fully a specific route chosen.

The meltemi wind starts from June, as is stronger in September, so you might escape it. This wind can start suddenly, and especially in the Cyclades islands sailing is recommended for the experienced ones. Pls check regarding the wind issues etc on google for more info.

wish you smooth sailings and happy times in Greece!

Sorry could not be more helpful.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Greek sailing honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:18