We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

I have a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old and I will be in Greece for 2 weeks 9-23rd July seeking inspiration for a play I am writing. Am looking to go to peaceful inspiring places, also suitable for young children, i.e. not with a lot of traffic where they can run around. Was thinking of Athens for a few days as we are flying in there and then Islands? Mykonos? So we could do a day trip to DELOS? And pleasant beaches. Any advice?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

Hey and welcome zoeobe2010:-) I think any isle will inspire;-) Regardless, you have loads of choices..Mykonos, for the most part, is an extremely popular isle..huge on int'l visitors w/cruiseships arriving practically daily in Season..not so much a 'family' isle, but that's not to say you won't find families there;-) If you're looking for something a bit more quiet, would look for an isle without an airport..or an isle more condusive to family friendly beaches and such..you may want to consider the neighborhing isles of Naxos or Paros?! Again, the choices are endless on wonderful isles to fit the bill! Your prefs..travel style..expectations, etc., dictate! Would research up on the various isles/isle groups and see which you feel would best fit the bill for you;-) Enjoy!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

Thanks for your reply, I think an island without an airport is a great idea! Thanks, I am thinking about going to the Islands (DELOS) in lower season now, and going to the mainland instead this time, the first week so far is Athens and then Delphi. I am writing a modern play based on Greek dramatic structure with a chorus, using content from Persian Sufism and the Writings of Baha'u'llah. It is really a trip of mediation and inspiration. I am looking back to the ancients to inspire me to write a moving piece of art, that will provide a social commentary on modern Irish life.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

My pleasure zoeobe2010:-) You are aware that you cannot stay on Delos..it's strictly an archeogoligal site or isle..uninhabited (except for the caretakers)..easiest indeed to reach from Mykonos on excursion boats..it does close in the afternoon..around 3-4p I believe;-) Keep Enjoyin'!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

How about Thassos? I am sure your children would love the short ferry trip from the mainland, dolphin spotting and feeding the seagulls.

Thassos town is like an undiscovered archeological site, with ruined columns etc dotted all over the place. There is also an amphitheatre above the town, overlooking the beach, with safe waters for children. You can use local buses for travelling to other places on the island, and like everywhere in the Greek islands, children are made to feel very welcome and you won't feel unwelcome when eating in taverna's etc, unlike some places in Britain.

5. Re: Inspirational Greece with 2 small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:19