We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
262 reviews
Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

Hi everyone

We're looking to hire a villa for 10 days at beginning of October. We were going to do Spain as I've been there in Sept and it's been sweltering, but a lot of people have had their doubts that it will be hot enough to sunbathe in Spain at that time...

We're now thinking of a Greek island (maybe Crete) vs. a Canary island (maybe Gran Canaria). Can anyone advise over which will have better weather? And am I right in thinking that Crete is the hottest Greek island (Cyprus is not an option)?

As a wild card, does anyone know if a Greek island will be hotter than e.g. Turkey or Malta?

Sorry for the long question, just really want to make sure we pick the right place. Lots of sun and high temperatures are pretty much the only criteria!!

Thanks very much for any help,

Grace

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

Hello Grace and welcome to the forums!

I'm afraid that I can't compare Crete to any of the above mentioned destinations but I can assure you that it is indeed the hottest Greek destination and that the weather in the south of the island is very hot until the end of October.

Ierapetra and the area around it is the hottest of Crete and even in October the temp is great for sunbathing (and swimming) since it rarely goes below 27C.

Hope this helps!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
262 reviews
2. Re: Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

This is perfect, thank you. I was really hoping for it to be min. 25c but was reading in a lot of places that the average for that time of year is around 20c, which seemed a but unlikely (and too cold!) to me...

Thank you, I will book with confidence now :)

cheers,

Grace

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

It rarely gets under 25 in Athens and Crete (especially the south) is always more hot and sunny.

The average for October in Ierapetra is 22 but you are going in the beginning of the month which makes a huge difference!

Besides, October 28th is the last "summer" bank holiday of Greece and all resorts are open till then. That wouldn't happen if there was no chance for holiday makers to go, right?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

Very good point :) Making villa enquiries tonight! Thanks for all your help TH13.

5. Re: Best place to go on holiday in October to sunbathe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 09:17