We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Riots in Greece"

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
"Riots in Greece"

To all the people who are saying that you shouldn't go to Greece because there are always riots everywhere and it's dangerous, I would say that the events of the last 3 days in London look to me to be far worse but do they affect us? Well we wouldn't know about them if it wasn't for the BBC. It's the same on the Greek islands - they are a million miles away from Syntagma Square!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Riots in Greece"

Ah, I was just having this discussion with a friend of mine! He called me to report that "London is on fire" (yes, it was on a Greek website) and my reply was "let's not do to them what they do to us, London isn't on fire"!

Edited: 09 August 2011, 01:05
Crete
Level Contributor
500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Riots in Greece"

I have been thinking the same thing from here in Crete! However, I'm glad I no longer work in London

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Riots in Greece"

greecemaduk

sometimes it is better to just say nothing than to just state the obvious.

absolutely pointless!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "Riots in Greece"

and just to point out, what happens in athens does have an affect on the people who live on the greek islands, as opposed to the people who visit once a year for 2 weeks.

many of my neighbours in greece have apartments in athens which they return to live in in the winter months whilst taking winter jobs. yes the greek islands are beautifull etc etc but we had power cuts every day in june due to the strikes. our supermarket ran short of food due to truck drivers striking, for 3 days there was no deisel for our mopeds or heating boilers during the winter.

nobody likes social unrest where ever it is in the world, but please don't think that by living on the greek islands you are cocooned from the rest of what is happening in the world.

sorry if my earlier post sounded rude but your post seemed to me to be 'gloating' i am in london at present where i also live, and what is happening here just now is hidieous, just like the earlier riots in athens.

incidently, please not that london is not the only city in the uk suffering mob attack, birmingham, leeds etc

regards

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Riots in Greece"

Bob & all,

I do think something needs to be said, because so much ado was made over the "riots" in Greece earlier this year, as was evident by the countless threads asking if Greece was safe to visit.

The truth is that the media has handled Greece and the events taking place in the country much differently than when similar things have happened elsewhere. This applies to riots, to protests, to the economic situation, to strikes, to just about anything.

I can only wonder what the international media would have been saying in Athens had the type of riots now occurring in London and elsewhere in the UK happened in Athens in 2003, a year before the Olympics. As it is, there were media outlets calling for the games to be moved elsewhere.

There's no "gloating" involved here, but it is evident that there is a double standard and only natural that people on a travel board about Greece will try to set the record straight about Greece. It got to the point where even many Greeks I knew back in the States were refusing to travel to Greece this year, because of the "rioting." I wonder if they will feel the same way about traveling to the UK now, or Norway (bombings), or Israel (large protests in the streets), or Vancouver (riots after a hockey match) and so on and so forth...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "Riots in Greece"

i havn't got time to reply in full but...

if there are riots going on anywhwere in the world, we need to know about it. of course most of our information comes from the news channels, we cannot all have 1st hand experience

is is only natural that people will go to a travel forum to ask if it is safe to travel to athens if they know that there have been/are riots. this forum is here to give information

i imagine the london forum has a load of posts just now asking the same question (i have never looked at it) i would say that is perfectly reasonable. if i was travelling to rio in brazil (for eg) next week and i saw that there was social unrest, i would certainly be checking to see if it was safe for me to visit there.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Riots in Greece"

Problem is that situation in London seems a thousand times worst than incidents that took place in Athens the last years.

Start of the events seems a carbon copy of what happened in December 2008 in Athens ( a young person here shot in the middle of a street by policemen ) but it seems we see much more horrible pictures in London and other places in UK, with shops being put on fire and extensive looting.

Nevertheless, putting these things on a "scale" may not make any sense at all.

Most alarming thing is we see situations like this in many Western Europe cities ( Athens in 2008, Paris a year after, London and many UK cities now, 2011 ). They do have a somewhat common background: riots start at low income areas where social problems pre-exist, they expand very easily, some looting is done, destruction of common spaces and private property is in the game too.

It is extremely alarming and i really don't give a s8it if this is in Athens or in London, or Paris, or if the Athens incidents were a zillion times less than what seems to be hapenning in London and other UK cities right now.

What concerns me is the obvious failure of our system ( call it government, call it police, call it social services, call it humanitarian groups ) to prevent these situations and to expand a feeling of social peace and security in our cities, either way in the political spectrum this can take place through. I really dont give a dime if this is Athens or London or if 10 shops were looted in Athens when 200 seem to be looted in London.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 09:06
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Riots in Greece"

I'm with Neo here (well, nothing new there but I had to say it, LOL)!

Besides, GreeceMad isn't even IN London and has no need to glow about something like that!.

BTW, until yesterday evening (I can't say about last night or this morning) the actual events in London are nothing like they show on the telly. Unfortunately, once more, media have to exaggerate as if their job is to not report the news but make them...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Riots in Greece"

lol

Videos are available in the Internet from injured people in London, getting robbed by the same people they help them stand on their feet.

Saying news are making the headlines out of nothing is pure denial from what seems as an eruption of violence in many European cities.

Confined? Yes. It does not affect the travellers, at least the the huge majority of the cases.

Not existent? Nope.Media exaggerate to sell, still original footage is a reality too. We have to get over the undeniable exaggeration of the real incidents by the media and look on the incidents themselves. They seem alarming, whether they take place in Athens or in London, whether thay re small scale like in Athens or large scale like in London.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 09:56
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "Riots in Greece"

my point was that what happens in one part of a country can have an affect on the whole of the country

i live on a quiet greek island but we were certainly affected by what was/is going on in athens. it most certainly is not 'a million miles away'. as we all know some greek islands are so close to athens that they are almost a suburb of athens eg aegina. many people there commute daily to athens for their work etc. of course they will be affected by the problems in athens. not every greek island is crete, corfu mykonos etc