We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Hi....I'm planning an anniversary surprise for my wife for late Sept/early Oct. She'd been to Greece 25 years ago in college, I believe Athens and Santorini. I've never been.

We are mid-40s, moderately adventurous...sightseeing, culture, relaxation with a bit of partying thrown in.

I'm getting closer to a draft of my itinerary. Here's what I have so far:

Sep 21/22 Fly JFK to Athens

Sep 22 Fly Athens to Crete

Sep 23 Crete

Sep 24 Crete

Sep 25 Ferry Crete to Santorini

Sep 26 Santorini

Sep 27 Ferry Santorini to Mykonos

Sep 28 Mykonos

Sep 29 Mykonos

Sep 30 Ferry Mykonos to Athens

Oct 1 Athens

Oct 2 Athens

Oct 3 Fly Athens to JFK

Too ambitious?

Wouldn't mind at least a partial hike at Samaria Gorge.

Planning a day trip to Delos.

Is Delphi day-trip accessible from Athens?

Maybe swap any of the above for anything else, e.g. skip Crete and allow more time in Santorini or add Paros/Naxos?

Thanks,

Rap

Wellignton
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Hi Rap,

Delphi is more or less three hours by car from Athens and it's really a suggestive place; if you don't mind driving for 7 hours in that day and you like ancient history I definitely recommend it!

Another really romantic spot near Athens is Cape Sunion, a couple of hours by car: there is a Poseidon temple on a cape and it shares with Santorini the best sunsets of Greece.

I would skip Mikonos, I've never been there but as far as I know it's a bit too touristic, and maybe spend these days in less known islands (like amorgos) or in the Peloponnesus (Nafplio and Micenes?)

Anyway, Greece is such a wonderful place and whatever you'll decide to see it will be a beautiful holyday!

Cheers,

Elisa

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Hi Rap. What a lovely surprise for your wife! Late Sept, early Oct is getting on to the end of the season for many of the Cyclades islands and the weather tends to get more "iffy" at that time of year. Also, consider that each day in transit from one island to another takes up the better part of the day.. packing, waiting at the port, boat trip, arrival, getting to hotel, unpacking etc. In addition, the boats tend to slow down in frequency as the season winds down. It is always a personal call of course, but I would consider spending all of your time in Crete. It is a large and fabulous island, with the best available weather at that time of year, and can easily meet all of your anniversary wishes. On the other hand, if Santorini and Mykonos are "must do's" within your time frame, perhaps you could save Crete for another visit.

Karen

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Hey and welcome Rap:-) You've gotten some great advise..and IMO, think Crete and Santorini would work well giving Crete the added time you would have given Mykonos giving you practically a full week..the isle is huge but with a specific destination in mind can be ideal..and since you're coming the distance..and are so close, would not omit Santorini even if it's for only a couple of nights..but would suggest 3 in order to get 2 full days;-) As Karen states, the Season starts winding down by Oct..but think you're going at a wonderful time..you may get some 'rainy' days..no crystal ball..but your chances are as good as they get with Crete being as far South as it gets;-) Congrats and Happy 'surprise' Anniversay planning...Always EnjoY!

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Thanks, all!!!

I will probably lean towards shifting one day from Mykonos to Santorini...I am always hearing from my wife how much she LOVED it...

Thanks,

Rap

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

I've been away from planning for a bit, but I'm finally ready to book my flight from NYC to Athens...now I'm trying to "sort of" plan the itinerary, leaning towards a bit of a loosey-goosey approach. Decided to skip out on Crete...just seems not sensible to just spend 2 days there...My current thoughts are:

9/21-24 Athens

Spend a few days in the city, maybe a day/overnight to Delphi.

9/24 Fly to Santorini

Spend 3 days on Santorini, then work my way via ferry back to Athens, planning to arrive back on 10/1 or 10/2 before flying home.

Primary goals are to visit Santorini, Mykonos/Delos (which I know is closed on Mondays).

Possibly add Naxos/Paros/Ios or other islands for a day or so each along the way

So I have a couple questions...

Is it any more sensible to fly to Santorini first and work back to Athens via ferries or the other way round, flying back to Athens?

Any specifics on actual ferry routes? I can find individual inter-island schedules, but what are the regular stops between Athens and Santorini? This would help in targeting which islands to stop on.

Barring major weather issues, what are the perils of 'unplanned' inter-island sailing this time of year? Some of my earlier research seemed to indicate few if any ferries from Santorini headed northward towards Athens on Wednesdays...but now that seems to not be an issue.

Thanks,

Rap

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

Hi Raprider,

"Is it any more sensible to fly to Santorini first and work back to Athens via ferries or the other way round, flying back to Athens?"

Santorini first - and straight away on your arrival in Greece - will be the most sensible. BTW: You can also return to Athens using flights from most of the other islands. You should leave Athens to the tail end of your trip to avoid possible delays and \ or cancellations causing you to miss your flight home.

"Any specifics on actual ferry routes? I can find individual inter-island schedules, but what are the regular stops between Athens and Santorini? This would help in targeting which islands to stop on.

Barring major weather issues, what are the perils of 'unplanned' inter-island sailing this time of year? Some of my earlier research seemed to indicate few if any ferries from Santorini headed northward towards Athens on Wednesdays...but now that seems to not be an issue."

The route Santorini - Naxos - Paros - Piraeus is an all year around seven days a week connection. It is the main public transport option for the islanders.

"Possibly add Naxos/Paros/Ios or other islands for a day or so each along the way"

Any transfer between the islands will take the best part of one day away from your itinerary. To stop in an island for one day will not mean nothing but always being on the move, and not have any time to see the island where you stop.

BTW: Athens needs several days on its own if you want to see the sights.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2011, 14:05
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

The link given above connects to Piraeus Travel agency, and has earlier been classified in these forums as promotion. Reported.

9. Re: 10 days +/- Itinerary ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 18:16