We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

greek island tour - help please

derby
Level Contributor
511 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
greek island tour - help please

hi all

after a fab holiday in Greece we are thinking about a 3 week holiday and touring around , also taking our 10 year old. Plan is June time next year , are we mad ? any advice on what to do ? Our definates are Athens, Santorini , thassos and Epheseus ( yes I know thats Turkey :) ) any advice greatley appreciated

thanks

benidorm
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: greek island tour - help please

Your definite destinations are pretty well spread out across the Aegean and would necessitate a good few ferry crossings - not that cheap nowadays. 3 weeks could be a bit tight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: greek island tour - help please

Hi,

There are no direct ferry connections between Santorini, Thasos and Ephesos. You probably have to go back to Athens in between visiting the places you want to see. This will cost a lot of time and money.

Why not leave out Thasos altogether and do Athens and Santorini (connected by ferry and domestic flight), then continue via Kalymnos to Samos by ferry and from there on to Ephesos (excursion boat) and may be fly out from Turkey. This will still involve a good deal of travelling on ferries but since you have 3 weeks it still leaves ample time for sightseeing and relaxing.

Best regards, Ifigenia

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: greek island tour - help please

I would also recommend that you visit Kos. I went a few years ago and it was very nice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: greek island tour - help please

Hi Gwen,

I beg to differ.

I found Kos crowded and touristy. Of all the Greek island I know - and I know a lot - it's the most "un-Greek" even off-season.

Best regards, Ifigenia

Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: greek island tour - help please

Concerning Thassos - its awkward to get to as its not really on the Greek ferry system - the vast majority of its boats make the short trip back and forth from the mainland, which is also where the airport is. It will be a big big effort to get both there and Ephesos in the same holiday.

Out of interest, why do you want to visit Thassos - unless its for a specific hotel/restaurant/beach/person then the chances are an alternative island offering something similar and arguably better might be more conveniently placed - for example if you are after an excellent beach island there is Naxos on the way to Santorini.

6. Re: greek island tour - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 20:22