We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet area of Crete

Landisville...
Level Contributor
492 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet area of Crete

What is the less touristy area of Crete island? Any place you would recommend for a few nights away from the touristy bigger hotel places. We are looking for a small boutique property and location. We will not have a car and would like to be able to walk to tavernas.

Surrey
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet area of Crete

Loutro in South west Crete is beautiful, and very quiet as there are no roads! You have to get a ferry or sea taxi to get there.- around 15 minutes. The hotels are all small and very simple, so not boutique as such. We are about to go to Hotel Porto Loutro, which has 2 buildings, one right on the sea front, and the other slightly set back, and is 60 euros a night.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet area of Crete

We've just come back from 2 weeks in Crete, and whilst we enjoyed Rethymnon (some fabulous places to eat), we also wanted a few days out somewhere authentic to relax.

We found the ideal location - Zaros - a mountain village; and stayed in Eleonas. I couldn't praise it highly enough. I'd suggest you have a look here on TA, to see the pictures and read other guests comments. It was heaven! The taverna there is great, so we didn't bother eating in the village in the evening. Neither did we have a car - and we managed to get there by local buses - I've detailed that trip on a forum here too!

I'll give you the links if you can't find the right pages,

Jen

Landisville...
Level Contributor
492 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet area of Crete

PERFECT....thank you both!

England
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet area of Crete

Koutalafari - about 1 kilometre inland from Hersonissos. Wonderful restaurants & bars with another village across a mini roundabout beginning with P, which is also lovely. Traditional Greek villages which hasn't been spoilt by tourism!!!

5. Re: Quiet area of Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 01:18