We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour and cruise

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Tour and cruise

Hi, my parther and I are looking at doing a combined Greece and Turkey tour and cruise, possibly with a duration of 15 days.

There are so many options to choose from!! Has anyone done a tour and cruise with Cosmo tours, Tragalar or Globus?

Or would island hopping be better?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour and cruise

If you are travelling in the summer when there are more boats/ferries between the islands, island hopping could be a better option for you. Also, if you arrive at an island that you like you may wish to stay there longer. The cruises arrive and leave within a few hours. I haven't done a cruise but plenty of island hopping.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour and cruise

Thanks for the reply. We're looking at going late August or early September. Are boats and ferries run frequently then?

We were considering a cruise, however most of them depart in Italy and does not have many Greece port calls.

If we were to do Greek island hopping, would Turkey still be recommended?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour and cruise

Yes, there are still many ferries and boats around. I would imagine that it's possible to cross from Rhodes to Turkey. I haven't done that for a few years but I'm sure others can comment.

Which islands do you have in mind visiting ?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour and cruise

If you are going island hopping and aim to combine it with visiting Turkey, you should do some of the Dodecanese islands (Rhodes, Kos) or going further north to Samos and Chios.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour and cruise

Thanks for the replies.

I know we have a lot of research to do. We would like to go to Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini to name a few. Doing an one day cruise to Hydra, Poros and Aegina would be good too.

Here are two tour itineraries we like, to give you an idea of what we're after. From what I can see, most can be done independently from Athens, including Delphi etc.

cosmostours.com.au/2012/our-tours/Europe/Eas…

cosmostours.com.au/2012/our-tours/Europe/Eas…

Hope this hasn't confused you even further! :)

Thanks again for your help.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 07:18
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour and cruise

Hi there

I think the important aspect to highlight here is to not try to squeeze too much in. It's tempting I'm sure on a first trip but what's the point of having say just one or two nights on several islands, which gives you no time to absorb local culture, scenery, history and sights? You'd be way better off limiting yourselves to a maximum of maybe three islands plus some time in Turkey. But then, you have Athens - it's a shame to travel so far and miss out on the delights of this amazing city, so personally, I'd skip Turkey, and use the 18 days for Athens ( plus a day trip to the Saronic Gulf islands you mention) and a maximum of three islands.

I'd go DIY as well, and not be herded around on a tour where quality always plays second fiddle to quantity. Getting around's easy, either ferries or domestic flights.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour and cruise

Thanks for the suggestion GBfromDevizes.

Do you know of any cruise companies that does one day cruises to Hydra, Poros and Aegina?

Back to research I go...! :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour and cruise

I see www.greecetravel.com has tour bookings available - is it a reputatable website to book tours etc from or are there other websites available?

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour and cruise

Gosh, there are so many islands to choose from... Ios and Crete looks good as well.

How many days would be needed to do Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Ios and Crete? Which islands would be best for a first trip??

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour and cruise

Hi js4rq,

Try to limit yourself to islands within the same group. Travelling between the different groups would demand either what seems to be your main preference (cruising), which only leave you with a few hours stay in the different islands, or extend your visit to get enough time to get a feeling of the islands you will be visiting (DIY).

Which islands are the best is dependant upon your own preferences of what to see and do.

Crete is a very big island which demands two weeks just to scratch the surface of what it has to offer (unless you vhoose to stay in one area only).

When planning an eventual DIY also take into planning that even within a single group of islands every transfer will take the best of one day away from you.

I second the advice given by GB (skip Turkey, and use the 18 days for Athens (plus a day trip to the Saronic Gulf islands you mention) and a maximum of three islands).

There are several companies doing the three island trip for the Saronic islands, but they have moxed reviews. You will again only sample a short stay in harbour of each island. Have a look at the Saronic islands and decide which appeals to you the most according to your oen preferences, and do a day trip there.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 20:00