We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Substitue for Oia?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Substitue for Oia?

Hi Folks,

I know the experts on here are not travel agents, so I apologize if this topic comes across that way.

My wife and I were initially looking into Greece last year for 3-4 days, however after looking into all the things to do, we had to cancel the idea and wait until next year when I had more holiday time for a 6-7 day holiday! (likely early Sept 2012).

Unfortunately, now we're struggling with the cost. Our currently planned itinerary looks something like:

Day 1 - fly to Athens

Day 2 - explore Athens

Day 3 - Tour to Meteora

Day 4 - Tour to Meteora

Day 5 - Fly to Oia

Day 6 - Stay Oia

Day 7 - Fly home

We're happy to see Athens in just one day, and there's zero chance we're not going to Meteora, yet our expenses look like they might total over £2000 which just seems ridiculous for 6-7 days.... (or does it....?)

We're thinking as much as Oia looks like the ideal Greece experience, we may have to cut it. Flights cost about £115 for a return and hotels are obviously expensive.

I suppose my question is whether you could recommend an alternative to Oia that would give a similar experience but is likely a bit cheaper from Athens.

We've briefly looked at Mykonos, but it seems as though it would still be somewhat expensive and isn't as picturesque. Meaning, the decrease in what we personally find beautiful doesn't seem to meet the decrease in price, so we'd probably prefer biting the bullet for the Oia trip. Although maybe we're wrong, it was only a brief look.

Perhaps this might help as well; what we were hoping for from Oia was a romantic Greek experience first of all, mixed in with some nice beaches and great food.

Alright well I'll leave it at that, hopefully this made sense. We really appreciate all the work everyone's put in on this forum, all our research is done here first!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Substitue for Oia?

Hi,

You will not be able to find any "nice beaches" on Santorini - it is mainly an island for the views and the scenery. Along with Mykonos it is also one of the most expensive islands in Greece - being swarmed daily by large numbers of cruise liners in season.

Oia is unique for the views (you can get an idea here):

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Something identical is very hard to find, but you have several other options to meet your preferences of a romantic Greek experience, mixed in with some nice beaches and great food.

Early September is a great time to go - it is still warm and nice, but most of the big crowds will be gone.

However, in my opinion you should concentrate your limited time to Athens and the surroundings. Athens as a destination demands more than one day, and you will also need to be in Athens at least the night before your return to avoid any problems of bad weather, delays and\or cancellations making you miss your flight home.

You will find nice beaches close to Athens, and if you would like to see one island day trips are possible from Piraeus to Aegina, Agistra, Poros and Hydra.

Be aware that any transfer between Athens and the islands further away (and return) will take the best part of one day away from your itnerary.

Hope this helps, and happy planning !

Edited: 03 November 2011, 10:28
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Substitue for Oia?

Hi,

After you have visited Meteora you could travel to Ionnina and then on to Mikro and Megalo Papingo, close to the Vikos gorge. While there are no beaches nearby the area is superbly scenic. Moreover, you'll save a lot of money on travelling to either Santorini or Mykonos.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Substitue for Oia?

Thank you very much for your suggestions. After almost a month of going back and forth, we've decided to stay closer to Athens as you mentioned. The cost of flight (or time of ferry), plus the cost of accommodation was becoming a bit extreme for just a couple days on Santorini. It certainly looks beautiful, but we've decided to spend more time on the mainland, with cheaper side trips, most likely spending what we'll save on fancier accommodation in Athens.

Aegina looks like a nice alternative, close by, well serviced, numerous beaches, and a nice temple, which possibly looks more impressive than the temple of Poseidon, unless the pictures deceive me.

Thanks for your help!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Substitue for Oia?

Aegina makes for a pleasant visit as does the Temple. You could also consider Perdika, in the south of the island too. Nice place for seafood. There are several boats to Aegina from Piraeus during the day which makes it an easy destination to get to.

5. Re: Substitue for Oia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:22