We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

NC
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

This is our first trip to Greece-very mature couple!!!

We will return to the mainland from Santorini on the afternoon of June 11th. We need to be in Athens on the 16th.

Now the ouch.... given the few days that we have on the mainland, should we eliminate Delphi, Nafplio or Hydra?

We will have spent time on Crete and Santorini. We love architecture, history and places of natural beauty. I'd like to think that we will return to Greece but don't know if this will happen.

Thanks for your help.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

Hi there

All I'd say is please, allow a couple or three days for all that Athens has to offer. It would be a shame to miss out on it all, especially as you say that you might not return. Hydra can easily be done as a day trip from Athens/Piraeus

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

Hey and welcome avis:-) I agree..unless you've alloted time at some other point in your trip..perhaps on arrival..to visit and spent some time checking out the sites in Athens, would do so as a finale;-) Your prefs would certainly be fulfilled in Athens..and having said that without knowing how you like to travel..your style, given the options, I'd opt for either Nauplion or Delphi but only if you can overnight it..although both doable in a day, pretty hectic and involves travel time which will limit your time at the actual destination;-)

If you're returning afternoon on the 11th, you can certainly head to either Nauplion or Delphi on the 12th for an overnight..returning to Athens on the 13th..giving you 2 full days till the 16th:-) On the other hand, you can certainly spend more time in Athens and head to Hydra for the day..it's a popular day trip with convenient ferry schedules! There are a number of options when you return from Santorini..you can also rent a car and take in both Nauplion and Delphi by hitting the road straight away on the 11th..returning to Athens on the 13th or 14th?! Personally..coming the distance, think you've covered the isles so would opt for something on the mainland..tough calls;-) Happy planning and EnjoY!

NC
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

Thank you both very much. Latest thinking is: arrive ATH on the 11th (from Santorini) @ 12:40-rent a car and head to Delphi. Overnight Delphi and visit ruins on the 12th. Then head to Nafplio for 2 nights-12th and 13th. On the 14th go to Hydra (return car on the mainland, if possible). On the 16th, take a very early boat from Hydra to Athens- ARR late morning and start exploring. Athens on most of the 16th and 17th. Morning flight back to the US on the 18th. Your imput will be most appreciated.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

Delphi is beautiful, haven't been to Hydra, but personally I would cross both of those of my list. Napflio is an easy trip from Athens and there is so much to see in the area. Ancient Korinth, Korinth Canal, Nemea, Epidavros....and the list goes on. And there's so much to see in Athens, don't short yourself there. Have fun planning, neighbor!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

Our pleasure avis:-) Well, you'll get different opinions here and bottom line, what is best is what best fits the bill for you..your interests, etc;-) It appears Hydra is high on your list..if so, then yes..your plan can certainly work! A day and half in Athens will also basically give you the time to take in the highlights which are reasonably doable in a day sticking to the center Syntagma/Plaka/Monasteraki area..maybe a museum..IMO, coming the distance, the New Akropolis Museum and the Nat'l Archaeological Museums are not to miss..then again, that's me;) It would be a tight fit though with only a couple of days! Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 23 November 2011, 15:38
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

I certainly wouldn't cross Hydra off my list. As others have mentioned above it's and easy day trip from Piraeus. And, once you arrive take a walk along the coastal path, be sure you won't regret going there.

7. Re: Ouch: which destination would you eliminate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:21