We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Islands Itinerary Question

Grand Ledge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greek Islands Itinerary Question

I'm working on an itinerary for a trip to the Greek Islands and Turkey this summer (three weeks) and I'm having a little trouble with connections between islands.

Ideally I would like to travel from Athens -> Milos -> Naxos -> Santorini -> Crete -> Samos (So we can transfer to Turkey and visit Ephesus) -> Istanbul via a flight from Izmir.

A couple of things - We're willing to drop either Naxos or Crete but probably not both. I would rather drop Crete but I can't really justify this thinking yet...

My question: How can I get Ikaria or Samos from the Cyclades?

Any and all suggestions are welcome - Thanks.

Corey

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Islands Itinerary Question

Hi,

Difficult lot you've selected there. This lot should work with available ferry routes. Including the Turkish bit makes it rather too much. The Greek Island section alone has ~7 days travelling, snd some of those will be long days.

1) Piraeus > Milos > Santorini > Crete > Rhodes > Kos/Patmos > Samos > Kusadasi.

Cyclades to Ikaria/Samos you have to go up to Syros/Mykonos first to change to another ferry route.

2) Piraeus > Milos > Santorini > Naxos > Syros/Mykonos > Ikaria > Samos > Kusadasi.

3) Piraeus > Santorini > Naxos > Syros/Mykonos > Ikaria > Samos > Kusadasi.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Islands Itinerary Question

Hi,

While your plan is interesting I can't help but think you're trying to do too much. You will spend a substantial amount of time travelling. It may be an idea to miss out more of the islands. Ephesus in Turkey is well worth a visit.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Islands Itinerary Question

Hi there

I tend to agree I'm afraid - five islands plus Athens plus Ephesus and Istanbul in three weeks will be a mad rush of packing, unpacking, and time in transit. Each time you move on you will eat up the best part of a full day so straight away, your proposed itinerary will consume a week's worth of travelling. That may well be OK for your type of trip and each to their own, but I would either skip the Turkey section of the trip, or if you definitely want to keep that in, then skip Crete and one further island.

Anything less than three nights in any one place is just not worth it - three nights is still just two full days and any less won't give you any chance to soak up the local culture of wherever you may be, see some of the sights, try to local dishes, and so on.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Islands Itinerary Question

Too much packed for your 3 week holiday. You will be rushed running from one place to another, not being able to enjoy and relax.

Grand Ledge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Islands Itinerary Question

Thanks for the helpful comments. I know we want to do Athens, Milos, Santorini, Ephesus, and Istanbul.

Is there a travel efficient way to do this without spending a ridiculous amount of time moving between destinations?

Thanks,

Corey

6. Re: Greek Islands Itinerary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2013, 10:23