We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights in February

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
8 nights in February

My husband and I will be travelling to Greece mid-Feb), I would like to ask for some advise on an itinerary. Obviously, there is plenty to keep us occupied in Athens, but we do have 8 nights and could include another stop-or 2.

Given the fact that it will be cold and rainy, hiring a car and driving around doesnt seem appealing--so public transport seems best if we venture out of Athens.

This is our first, but will not be our only trip to Greece so I am not wanting to plan a trip around the historical highlights. Athens has loads to see and explore and after a few days of tours, ancient relics, museums I may be ready for something different.

-We are not interested in skiing, but a nice mountainous village in the snow does seem appealing. Any comments on thermal springs in Greece? Nice in winter or not?

-Wine tours/tastings or wine shops to learn about the different Greek wines. Wine regions to visit.

-Northern Greece--Thessaloniki, Northern Greek cuisine.

-Opera/ballet- How is the theater in Athens?

Your ideas and input are greatly appreciated.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,048 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 nights in February

On the subject of mountainous villages several come to mind but they are some way out of Athens:

Andritsena, Stemnitsa, Dimitsana (Peloponnese)

Mikro and Megalo Papingo (Northern Greece close to Ionnina). These two villages sit above a beautiful gorge and may fit with your wine tasting.

Closer to Athens there are some villages which are below Mount Parnitha, their names escape me at present but if you're interested I can get back to you.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 nights in February

For concerts in Athens check out the website of Athens Concert Hall to see what's on at the time you will be there:

For the National Opera:

Badminton Theater also offers some good shows sometimes:

Have a great time!!

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 nights in February

Thank you for this information. I will research these villages now. Cheers.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 nights in February

Hey and welcome Jennifer:-) In order to save some time, you may want to consider a short/approx 30 min flight up to Thessaloniki, Greece's Northern Capital, where you'll be able to to visit/stay in a beautiful mountainous Town/village as well as get to explore some wineries..the area is reknown for wine production with the infamous 'Boutari' having origins in Naoussa (Imathias..there's also a 'Naoussa' on the Cycladic isle of Paros;-) If you google something to the effect of 'Wine Roads of Northern Greece', you'll find lots of great info..you'll be able to see the process as well as purchase a few bottles to bring back home;-) In addition, you'll also have the opportunity to experience some wonderful Northern cuisine! Best explored via car rental..you can rent out of Thessaloniki..the drive to Naoussa is barely 1.5 hours..check out www.paleapoli.gr/ and Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 nights in February

Another suggestion is to take a bus from Athens to Arachova, an enchanting little village not far from Athens. However, would not advise you to go on weekends, when Athenian skiers fill the village. You could enjoy walks, nice meals, and famous cheese from the area.

As for thermal springs, only Loutraki comes to my mind, but doubt whether they are open in winter time.

Enjoy your stay in Greece!

6. Re: 8 nights in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 10:18