We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

Hi Folks,

We are planning Greece and Turkey for our honey moon and wanted some advise on whether this itinerary sounds ok. Apr 7 - 27.

Is April ok weather wise, we can even do may or end April if there is a significant difference in weather/logistics.

We are sure we want to do Athens, Mykonis and Santorini. Also planing on Istanbul and maybe a day trip.

Land Athens on the 7th evening.

Ferry/Plane to Mykonos on the 10th morning, which mode would you suggest? Day trip to Delos.

Mykonos - Santorini 13th morning ferry, as it is pretty short and we would like to approach Santorini by sea.

Santorini - Rhodes 15th morning, probably fly. I have time so I wanted to do a 3rd Island. Picked Rhodes as many people talk well about it and we also go nearer to turkey. Any other options, a 3rd must see island ( access to Turkey is secondary)

Rhodes - Istandbul 19th

Istanbul - Delhi 24th morning

So, I have 3 days left, where would you suggest we extend or maybe add something.Place near istanbul or the Greek islands?

Appreciate the input.

Regards,

chim

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

Hi chim

First thing I'd say is that you arrive on Santorini on the 13th and depart on the 15th, that's just one full day which won't give you much time to see anything of the island.

Same for Mykonos - you arrive on the 10th, but depart on the 13th, just two full days of which one is to be a daytrip to Delos.

You have three full days for Rhodes - if you desperately want to see another island, then do a daytrip to either Halki or Symi.

Instead of looking for more islands to squeeze in, I'd be looking at spending those remaining three days on the islands you've already decided upon and get some major relaxation in.

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

GB,

Thanks for the input, I agree with you and don't want the schedule to be cramped so will spread those days 1 each to all the places.

Is Rhodes a good 3rd place to visit? This is the only time we will go to Greece.

Also I have an option between April first week - May last week and June first week. Best time to come weather/facilities/prices considered?

Thanks,

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

I think you'd be less likely to encounter chilly/windy weather at the end of May/early June than in April. Some prices might be higher then, but a lot of hotels wait until mid-June to raise prices.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

April is off season for the islands, although Mykonos and Santorini are very popular and might have some cruise ship visitors or other travelers even so early. Rhodes has a large pernament population and Rhodes Town will be vibrant enough even on April. Keep on mind that 15th April 2012 is Greek Easter Sunday. Transportation will be very busy around this date, accomondation too. It might be still chilly or even rainy on April, and definately no beach time, but if you are alright with this, and with places been a tad bit quiet, then I personaly do not think it is a bad idea. You'll get to have a more "real" feeling of how locals live before hordes of tourists arrive.

Your problem here is, how you plan to connect from Santorini to Rhodes? I doupt you can fly directly on April, most likely you'll have to go via Athens. Ditto for Rhodes to Istanbul, unless you plan to connect from Rhodes to Turkish coast, then make your way to Istanbul through bus or flight.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

Hi again Chim

I'd go with early June, when it's usually dry and hot in Greece but still not too busy. The sea will be warmer than in April or May. Rhodes is a lovely island, a wonderful blend of scenery, history, ancient sites, beaches, good food and more than enough to keep you happy.

Here are photos of Rhodes taken last September, they are in about 20 sets, just click on any set to open it up...

www.flickr.com/photos/brownieboy27/sets/…

Edited: 18 January 2012, 15:33
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

There are a couple of reasons to go in April, and that is the possibilty to experience the Greek Orthodox easter celebration (15. april), another is the lovely springtime, and you will be very much a lonely tourist with lots of space. Unless that is of interst, I would wait at least until May. Much of the islands are still hibernating in April.

Some distances may seem short, but connections make them long. Mykonos to Santorini out of season are one example. Starting from april 15th. there is a Seajet four times a week, othervise you have to change ferry in Paros or Syros. From Santorini to Rhodes you can expect a ferry 3 times a week. And Rhodes may be close to Turkey, but still very far from Istanbul. Best connection are a flight via Athens.

7. Re: Advise: Greek Island Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:33