We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we are all Greeks now

Tangier, Morocco
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
we are all Greeks now

This is not a question. I would just like to urge TripAdvisor readers still considering a future trip to take their holidays in Greece this year. People are writing in to ask if the economic crisis poses a problem for visitors. Well, I just came back from ten days in Athens and I can assure you that everything was working as usual. People are still friendly, hospitable, generous and even cheerful. Several times we were made to feel especially welcome by people, precisely because they are conscious of how much they need visitors. Almost everyone you meet can hold an interesting conversation in English, so we talked to many ordinary Athenians: those with a job, even a menial one, are so grateful to have work, while those without work seem to be seriously thinking of emigrating.

In my opinion we should show solidarity with the ordinary Greek people who are suffering so much by at leasting spending a little money in their beautiful country this year. So I urge you to pay your respects to the cradle of Western civilization and hopefully help a few people keep their jobs!

EAST MIDLANDS
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: we are all Greeks now

Well said eirlys55,couldn't agree more.

2. Re: we are all Greeks now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2017, 00:00
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: we are all Greeks now

Well said eirlys 55, we were in Crete in January and agree with you that our welcome was also even warmer and more welcoming that usual.

We will be returning in May, July and September/October, with a trip to mainland Greece in early September too.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,881 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: we are all Greeks now

Absolutely right! It's really important that all of us who love Greece show it by turning up and spending our money in the local economy - and urging others to do the same. And just as importantly our presence will show the Greeks that we support them at this extremely difficult time.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,992 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: we are all Greeks now

Well said eirlys55. Hurrah!

And how refreshing to have an unbiased & positive report from someone who has actually just been to Athens as a visitor. We get so much useful information from the local residents (like Nick) which keeps us abreast of the situation much more accurately that the hysterical media, but I often see people on here who seem to think that these locals are just talking up Athens.

Looking forward to my own trip in May - independent of course & despite not having much spare cash myself I will be looking to spend what I have locally & offering moral support.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: we are all Greeks now

We will be there next month, to kick start the tourist economy , and again in Oct, staying independent SC both times. Had a wonderful time in Athens just before Christmas, People, food and beer all great. and only one small demonstration to avoid. and found only 99.999% of Athens unaffected. Love you all my friends, see you soon.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: we are all Greeks now

Me and my wife will do our best. We are packing our luggage for the next trip. Landing in Heraklion monday afternoon. Going on to Rethymnion for the Karnevalli. And then we are already booked for Greek Easter in april, and another island hopping with 6 friends in may.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: we are all Greeks now

Well said ! Booked my flight to Athens half an hour ago, for three weeks in June.

BA's Saver fares seem to selling quite well.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,319 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: we are all Greeks now

Thanks so much for such a positive report.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: we are all Greeks now

What a breath of fresh air! Great post Eirlys55.

Yes, the citizens of Greece are certainly going through very tough times and I hope there is relief to come, although I think it may be a long road to recovery. We hope to help in our very small way by spending 2 weeks in the Cyclades in September, returning to Naxos and Santorini after falling in love with Greek hospitality last fall.

Jo