We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Hi there

We're two couples, relaxed mid-thirties, from South Africa planning a 7 day holiday trip to Greece We want to book soon, and I haven't done the usual full-scale research, but provisionally we're planning the following -

1) Early September

2) Considering self-catering - something between budget and expensive. :-)

3) Staying on one island only - thinking of Santorini

4) Aiming for a relaxed time, some sight-seeing, beach, coffee shops - that kind of thing.

I would appreciate some general advice i.t.o. places to stay, is Santorini a good base for the week, anything we should consider before booking etc.

Thank you!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Santorini wouldn't be my choice for beaches as thery are mostly black sand asnd I think a week is too long for Santorini. Naxos would be a much better choice and you could probably still get an excursion boat to Santorini from there.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

I wouldn't choose Santorini either but I stayed in Santorini for a week once and I didn't feel bored. Black sand is not a bad thing in my books as long as you keep your flip-flops on as it can get really hot :) The Santorini beaches are actually very nice and long. Santorini is also a good base to explore the neighboring islands as a day trips- Thirassia, Ios, Anafi. A think a week there will provide just the right mix of sightseeing and relaxation.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Santorini is special with its amazing and great views. Here is to give you an idea:

Fira

http://tinyurl.com/depuvh

Oia

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Thanks for the replies - every bit of information helps!

Just to clarify, beaches aren't a priority. What is priority is laid back "traditional" Greek Island feel and look - the white architecture, views over the Mediterranean (or is it Aegean ?), small shops and restaurants/coffee shops etc.

From our base we'll do day trips to some of the surrounding areas/islands.

Nice pics greek-traveller! Are Fira and Oia the two Santorini options? Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Santorini is spectacular and one often sees comments here that after the views of the Caldera two or three nights is all you need on Santorini.

But there is more to Santorini than just the view. Virtually no one mentions the medevil town of Pyrgos with its walled upper section and magnificent view of virtually the whole island. There are winerys to visit and while the beachs truly are pumice grit you can happily spend a few hours there. Try red beach near Akrotiri it is still pumice but the red colour and the location directly bveneath the cliffs makes it special. Also take the walk down to Amoudi Bay from Oia. Great walk and good swimming and dining down there.

There is Ancient Thera to wander around. Print out a site map from the internet so you get an idea of what you are seeing and as a bonus it is very cool to look down on the airplanes flying past as they land in Santorini.

So you can easily spend a week.

I normally suggest that one find a hotel with a caldera view as it is so spectacular. For a week that can get pretty expensive as these are premium rooms. Last year we decided to locate on the other side of the island with a 200 degree ocean view of the Aegean rather than locate in Fira or Oia. We were close enough to walk to Oia but could retreat to our little oasis of peace and quiet when the cruise ship tour busses arrived.

We chose to stay in a tiny traditional village called Finikea. It was litterly deserted during the day and we sprnt hours just wandering around the vilkage. There is something very cool about a tiny village. You feel like you are back in time like Greece used to be. Better yet it was far less expensive than in Oia or Fira and was self catering.

Here are some images of Finikia

travel.webshots.com/album/580751235fSDnLU

However should you decide not to choose Santorini I second the suggestion of Naxos as an island that ticks most of your wants including being less expensive and with sand beaches.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 14:50
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm leaning towards Santorini, with maybe an overnight trip to Mykonos thrown into the mix.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Need some more advice please. We've found a place close to Fira to rent - Villa Lydia - housetrip.com/en/…

I have no idea about the locality and whether or not it is well situated , it does seems a bit remote form the photos (could be wrong). Also can't find any reviews (fairly new offer).

Any advice? Perhaps a recommendation for better self-servicing option on Santorini?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

I do not know this property however, just my opinion, Santorini is about the views over the Caldera. This location is clearly overlooking the Aegean not the caldera. On any other island this would probably be a beautiful view. Price seems pretty good for a family of 4.

When we took our kids several years ago we stayed at Blue Dolphins with a full kitchen and a caldera view. I am sure there are other self catering units with a caldera view which likely would also mean you will be closer to the action right near shopping and dining options as well.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

Thanks stanbr, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Closer to the action is definitely preferable.

10. Re: Planning Greek Islands trip - few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:41