We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
181 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

I'm looking to go to either Greece, Greece and Turkey or Croatia in October 2012.

I am looking to spend 20 days somewhere. Where will $5,000 dollars get me better value with the three trips listed above.

On trips I visit historic cities, ruins, beaches, and small towns. I would like to visit islands in either Greece and Croatia.

Where should I go?

What will be better buck for $5,000?

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

I'm doing almost the same in June, but taking a cruise in Venice to Greek Islands, very convenient for 7 nights, You should check on cruises if you like them, I know they have nice combinations with Turkey and Croatia combined with Greece...

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

These three countries are completely different.

Turkey is probably the best value for your money. However, most Turkish hotels are far from authentic. Several AI hotels are self-contained and far from the civilization: there's no point traveling so far to stay in a self-contained hotel. You can do many good trips and see well preserved archeological sites, however most trips will be limited to organized tours.

I am a little biased about Greece since it is my favorite place on Earth. In Greece you can usually stay at a small, family run hotel. If you choose carefully and stay away from the most populated resorts (Malia, Faliraki), you can enjoy true Greece just a few steps away from your hotel. The prices of hotels are reasonable (50 EUR/night for a double room), a typical dinner costs about 25-30 EUR for two persons (incl. wine), an economical rented car 25-30 EUR/day. Alcoholic beverages can be expensive.

I used to spend several weeks in Croatia almost every year. It probably has the best beaches in the Mediterranean. It's not a problem to find a secluded beach with as much shade as you want. However, with years the prices of accommodation rose significantly (the price of a typical hotel is twice or three times higher than the price of a comparable hotel in Greece). Also, several places in Croatia do not have the typical Mediterranean charm. And most important, unfortunately the people who work in the tourist industry are often very surly and unfriendly.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 07:46
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Mediterranean
Hotel Mediterranean
1,082 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Faliraki
Faliraki
Rhodes, Greece
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

Hi there

I think you'll find that most people on this forum will say "Greece" whereas those on the Turkish forum will say "Turkey". As to how far your money will go, that totally depends upon the way you want to travel ( rental car, bus, taxi), where and what you eat and drink, and the type of accommodation that suits you.

Twenty days is a decent amount of time to have, you could combine Athens with a couple of islands, or simply head for somewhere like Crete, a huge island that ticks all your boxes

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
181 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

Thanks for all of your help.

Looking at around 16-17 days now. Like to relax a little but not super relaxed.

I'm def. leaning towards Athens / Epidavros / T.B.D. Town on the mainland travel.

*Athens 3 days?

*2 or 3 days outside Athens. Epidavros.

*Add rental car for 2 or 3 days.

I'm def leaning towards Mykonos / Santorini / 3rd Island T.B.D. for island travel.

(1 day Mykonos, 3 days Santorini)

So my questions are.....

(1) What other mainland town(s) should I visit for 2 or 3 days?

(2) What other island should I go to?

(2A) Regarding my budget, would it make more sense to ferry or fly to Rhodes or Crete?

(3) Including ferry time, can this trip be done reasonably?

(4) How does one get around on these islands once off the ferry?

(5) Can I meet a $5,000 US Dollar Budget for this trip?

(Hotels 16 days, Rental car for 2-3 days, Ferry travel, and Airfare?)

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Epidavros
Epidavros
Argolis Region, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

As GBDevizes states most people on this forum will be biased in favour of Greece. Indeed, I am one of them. Athens is worth a visit but do leave it till the end of your travels. With your 2 or 3 days outside Athens you can visit the likes of Nafplion, Ancient Corinth and Mycanae along with the theatre at Epidavros. You could take an overnight ferry to Crete but do be aware that it is a large island and in a short time you will not see a great deal of it. Anyway, from Crete you could head back to Athens via Santorini. Personally, I would give Mykonos a miss a spend more time on Crete or Rhodes.

Mentioned in this post
Ancient Olympia
Ancient Olympia
3,084 Reviews
Olympia, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Corinth
Corinth
Corinthia Region, Greece
Epidavros
Epidavros
Argolis Region, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
181 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

Thanks. I'm settled on Greece. I'm looking for thoughts on my questions noted above.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

Skjp Crete- it's a destination unto itself- huge island, it would take a couple of weeks to just scratch the surface.

Santorini and Mykonos are the two most expensive islands in Greece. That being said, the views/experience of Santorini should be seen by every first timer to Greece.

My advice would be to fly straight out to Santorini on arrival in Athens. Spend 2-3 days and then ferry to somewhere like Naxos ( a personal favorite). Naxos has beautiful beaches and lots to do and explore. You can take a day trip to Mykonos/Delos from Naxos. Then back to Athens, pick up a car and drive to Napflio to explore the Peloponnese for a few days. Very easy to get to Epidavros from there. Loads to see around that area. Then back to Athens for at least 3 days.

Unfortunately here in the US, the only islands we really hear about or that are promoted at all are Mykonos and Santorini. There are so many other wonderful (and way more cost effective) places to see.

Does the 5K include your airfare? I

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Epidavros
Epidavros
Argolis Region, Greece
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
181 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

Well if the 5000 could include the airfare too, that would be great. Thoughts if that is feasible? Do not include food.

Just any type of airfare, rental car, ferry and hotels.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

If we are talking about a couple, besides the airfare, i'd start from a very rough budget of 100 - 200 euros per day per person. I know, rough and widespread but travelling styles vary and some people travel for a little, while other want to go more splurgy.

That's $130 - 260 per day and would include meals, tickets, some shopping and domestic trips. It's a rough budget and can go lower but much higher too. This , for a 20 days trip means a total of appx. $2,600 - $5,200 per person, ** without the airfare.

What's this amount? In euros:

Lunch 10 - 20

Dinner 10 - 20

Snack / coffee 0 - 10

Snack / coffee 0 - 10

Transportation tickets / site tickets 10 - 20

Shopping 0 - 20

Domestic trips 15

Room 50 - 75

That's a sum of 95 - 190 euros per day and is an hypothetical budget. And a widely spread one.

Why is it hypothetical? Because no one spends 15 on lunch and then another 15 for dinner every day. No one has big meals *every* day, since you may skip one meal, have a snack some other day, but then have a more expensive meal one day.

Room price varies also. Some people will go in a double room for 100 per night, some will go even lower, some will go towards higher end rooms in the 150 euros range.

Some peoepl will go lower. Airfare is the biggest chunk which you can't escape ( no one can paddle all the way from Washingto DC ) but some other things can make the bill go lower. Keep in mind cost of living is much lower here. We live on that amount ( after bills and taxes ) for a year and we go out, make domestic trips, have dinner, have lunch.

Usually difference on a travel bill will be: alcohol and shopping will make the total bill go up while wise room picks can make the bill go lower. You can't escape the tickets for the sites but they are really great value ( example: for 12 euros you can see most open air sites in Athens, while Acropolis Museum is an additional ticket of only 5 euros ). Domestic trips are also a factor to weigh int, since the "no-paddle" scenario, lol, does not come into play when you go to an island.

My suggestion is that it IS a very doable budget, even with the airfare included. It may need some planning to avoid the typical mistakes we do everywhere and get the bill up; that mainly means pick wsely places to stay, in order to find good places in good prices too.

So, i 'd say, start making a rough plan to see where you want to go . You have a terrific time in your hands, so pick some places and start connecting the dots. Just avoid picking places that are scattered all around the country. It seems as a small country, but if you inclide water and overall distances it's two times the size UK has on the map. So, be a little conservative on that one and stick to similar areas instead of picking places in the four corners of the country ;)

Edited: 21 April 2012, 08:45
Mentioned in this post
Acropolis Museum
Acropolis Museum
27,899 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
10. Re: Greece? Greece & Turkey? or Croatia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:41