We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a May Trip to Greece!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a May Trip to Greece!

Hello All;

Ok, I have been reading so much about where to go in Greece that instead of helping it has made more difficult to choose where to go ;)

I'm planning a 10 day trip to Greece with my husband by May 22nd and I'm trying to decide where to go.

I know there are 3000 islands that I can visit but I need to choose where to stay those 10 days (I would like to book hotels in 3 cities and take daily trips from there if possible so I don't jump from hotel to hotel every night).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a May Trip to Greece!

Quality rather than quantity would be my advice …3 cities means 3 full days travel out of 10 days..IMO pick a group of Islands ie Cyclades, Ionian , Dodecanese and base yourself on one of the island of the group, traveling to others by ferry.

If you are still set on 3 ‘cities’ then Athens, Heraklion and Ermopoli (Syros) would be my choice but, a lot of your time would be wasted traveling IMO

Edited: 06 April 2012, 17:35
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a May Trip to Greece!

Hey and welcome CaroMR:-) If you do have a full 10 days (don't forget you loose that day flying over;-) it basically means you have 9 nights! You do indeed have MANY options..quite mind-boggling for sure..especially for 1st timer coming all that distance;-) FWIW, a good way to approach may be to pick an isle that has airport and fly out directly upon arrival after the long haul! It's a huge time saver..no backtracking..saving Athens for the finale for a few days! Keeping the itinerary running consecuively best utlilizes your precious time;-)

Having said that..not many isles are condusive for day trips..you can, of course, hit your first isle (which by the way is a great way to go to get rid of jet lag and get your land legs back;-) for a few nights..then ferry onwards to a second isle..best if in same route..not too time consuming! Depeding on isle, you can either ferry or fly back to Athens for finale! Your plate will be pretty full with 2 isles + Athens..basically giving you 2 full days at each destination if you break it up into 3 nights at each!

Would research up on the various isle groups..see which you feel would best fit the bill for you..your prefs/travel style rule;-) As an aside and possibly something you may want to consider..IMO, I think the 3 Sporades isles of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos would make for a great option since they are very close to each other..easy to do day trips to basing at one! In effect, if flight times coincide with your arrival..you can fly to Skiathos..possibly base there..and do seperate day trips to both Skopelos and Alonissos..basing at one place for around 5-6 nights..then you can return to Athens for final 3-4?;-) To give you an idea, take a look at www.skopelosweb.gr/ www.alonissos.gr/ These are not your run of the mill popular isles..if that's what you're looking for..these isles are more off the beaten track especially for those coming the distance! Again, just a thought..but would certainly fit into your plan of basing and exploring;-) Happy planning..and EnjoY!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a May Trip to Greece!

Guys!

Thank you both!

I think I was so exited about the trip to Greece that I didn't stop to think straight about the "quality" time.

You both are right :)

Litsa, your recommendation sounds great, and though I don't want to be the "typical" tourist that go to the "typical" places and taking your recommendation and Milesfromwood's as well, maybe since it is my fisrt time to Greece I do Santorini and Mykonos from the Cyclades plus Athens? or have they become way too commercial too enjoy?

I think mid may is still a good time for not finding them overcrowded right?

the other thing is I would love to see beautiful beaches but is not that crazy about going there to get tan (since I live in Miami a few blocks from the beach ;)) but I would like to enjoy more the city per se, the astonishing views, the beauty, the people, culture, EATING and all that :)

What do you 2 recommend? should I stick to Santorini/Mykonos/Athens or should I do 2 others less "popular" like the Sporades (which I saw in pics and I loved them!)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a May Trip to Greece!

You're very welcome:-) Well, it's purely a personal call on where you go.. no one can predict your 'reaction' or how you'll take to any specific isle..only you can decide what you feel would best fit the bill for you;-) I know that probably doesn't help much..but it's a difficult call to make for anyone..especially first timers that have nothing to compare it to;-)

Santorini and Mykonos are about as popular as isles get..they can be pricey as well but don't neccessarily have to be;-) Mid-May is an excellent time.. I've personally hit Santorini twice in early May and thoroughly enjoyed it! As far as beaches go, bear in mind that Santorini is a volcanic isle..and beaches reflect same..more volcanic ash/grit..but same beautiful Aegean Sea! Mykonos has the idyllic sand beaches..then again, if you're looking for something different..smooth pebble beaches with crystal clear turqouise waters and lush/green isles, the Sporades certainly fits that bill;-) So you're basically comparing apples to oranges..2 popular/internationally reknown isles..and 2 out of the way..off the beaten path isles;-) FWIW, Santorini is certainly worth a visit..at least once IMO..pretty unique;-)

So now that I've confused you more..am sure others will kick in to add to your dilemna..lol!! I don't think you'll be disappointed with any isle you choose..bottom line, it will be an adventure and experience like none before! Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a May Trip to Greece!

I agree, Cyclades would be my chioce, after spending 20+ two week holidays in the island the Cyclades are my favourites- Naxos, Syros,Tinos being less popular than the 'big two' Santorini/Mykonos are worth visiting IMO saying that wherever you chose you'll enjoy, all the islands offer something unique

6. Re: Planning a May Trip to Greece!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:41