We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quintessential Greek salad

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Quintessential Greek salad

The perfect Greek salad has to be eaten in Greece where produces are best.

IMO the ingredients should be…

Cucumbers peeled and chopped into half rounds chunks.

Tomatoes with a little green tint (never refrigerate them)

Thinly sliced light green peppers

Black Kalamata Olives

Thin sliced sweet white onions

Village Feta

Dressing …Local Olive oil with white wine vinegar or Lemon juice…that’s my dilemma which one!

Eaten with freshly baked bread and a dip of Tzatziki before my Moussaka( I prefer a slice my wife loves the earthenware pot) with lashings of wine, a quintessential Greek meal IMO what’s yours?

Edited: 15 April 2012, 14:11
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

One of the best meals ever was last year in Rhodes at a roadside taverna to the south of the island. Home made bread dipped in olive oil and sprinkled with oregano to start along with olives and taramasalata, followed by goat souvlaki, served with Greek salad and thick slices of oven baked potato, washed down with a litre of the taverna's own wine. And it all cost less than €15 for both of us.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

Sounds good to me GB great value……never had goat in Greece, seen kid on the menu not goat but i suppose its the same but younger, once had it in Caribbean and wasn’t impressed.

Taramasalata is one dip we’ve stopped ordering in Greece even though we like it , never know if it’s made with bread or potatoes, prefer the creamery smooth versions. And usually order the eggplant salad melitzanosalata.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

Everything is personnel opinion with food. If you study origins of cooking, there is not one ''correct'' way to cook. They started as peasant dishes, using what ever was available at that time.There is a hundred and one ways to cook Mousakka,none of them is wrong, it changes with the season and what veg is available at that time.

Discuss.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

Well, I have to say that I thought moussaka was always aubergine slices, with potato slices, minced lamb and bechemal sauce. Wouldn't be the same if it was made with cabbage or carrots....;0(

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

me too ;-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

..Grilled octopus drizzled with olive oil and oregano..with a carafe of red (all mine;-).. I don't get happier..especially when eaten beachside;o) Keep 'em coming folks..I love these food threads..lol!! Enjoy!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

That's made me dribble Litsa....;0)

My turn now - flash fried kalimari in tempura batter served with a slice of lemon, served with creamed mushrooms, then a main course of a whole sea bass or mullet.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

...that's ALLOT of food my friend..lol;)) Never seen creamed mushrooms there..although I like to stick with the basics..like fresh mullet, tsipouro..whatever the local fishermen bring in for the day..grilled, again with olive oil and oregano (I'm not so much into the lemon;-) and again..wouldn't be complete without my carafe..you can get your own;o)) Enjoyin'!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

I wouldn't dream of guzzling your wine Litsa, it's a job keeping Mrs GB from drinking it all at the best of times though....

Only ever had creamed mushrooms for the first time in a little taverna on Crete a year or so ago. Totally delicious.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quintessential Greek salad

How about octopus and vegies simmered in wine sauce along with fresh bread to soak up the juices.... yummy.... with wine of course (but not Litsa's)!

Karen