We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

I have found this topic in Paris forums, but I think it would be a great topic for Greece forums too.

I'd like to ask repeat travellers to Greece and expats--

What would have been helpful to know before your first trip to Greece that you didn't know at the time?

For Greeks the question is--

What do you wish that first time tourists to Greece knew?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Greece
Greece
Europe
North Star Enduro Touring
Sightseeing Tours, Motorcycle Tours
Salatka Po Grecku
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Taxi Araxos Airport & Kyllini Port
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

bump

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Great question foggy

How about this?

Totally underestimating the power of Raki on the unconditioned Brit constitution and the effect it had upon the body "the morning after"?

Once tried, NEVER underestimated again.....

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Someone posted a 'first time things I wish I'd known' list a just a few weeks back and very good it was, but I cant find it now.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

'unconditioned Brit constitution' LOL! I've never had it, is it some sort of wine?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Things i think they must keep in mind or know before:

- avoid over planning. Go with the flow and avoid itineraries like "Monday 08:14, there, 08:52 there and so". Give time to the trip and themselves.

- avoid get everyday full of activities and plan every possible detail. A Greece trip needs relaxing too. Drive distances seem small but are not :) Greece must be enjoyed in human rhythms, so seeing less and better is a way to do it rather than seeing all with no breath between.

- get to know the people, their habits, their food and their mentality. Why? Cause they are simple ( at least at first reading ), hospitable but in the same time do have a very complicated way of thinking :)

- plan the trip in a mix of contemporary and old / modern and traditional.

- know before that Athens is a big city, so it has its ugly faces as every other metropolis in the world :)

- know before that Athens needs time and a lot of walking to discover it. It is a city you either love or hate :) Or love and hate it in the same time. Or just love it :)

- know that sun is burning here, so getting a really good sunblock, good sunglasses and good hat to keep the skin ok.

- know that they don't have to carry all their wardrobe here if they arrive in summer. Greece is simple and a lot of domestic trip must be expected. A 7 days trip can be absolutely managed with an 7 kilos rolling luggage. Anything over 800grams - 1 kilo of luggages per day is unnecessary packing for both women and men :)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Nick's list is excellent and travellers should repeat it like a mantra. I can vouch for the warning about over planning. Aside from making a trip less relaxed and spontaneous, sometimes plans are just impossible to follow. I had to change my plans 3 times: once when I chickened out of driving the mountain roads on Crete, once because of a ferry cancellation and once due to an airline strike. Still, I had a marvellous time.

While I considered myself fairly well researched before I left, one detail of Greek driving did take me by surprise. I knew to keep a watch on my mirrors and shift to the shoulder when someone approached quickly from behind. What I didn't know was that I needed to watch for oncoming traffic too. An oncoming driver will feel no hesitancy about passing even with another car travelling within striking distance in the opposite direction. The expectation is that drivers travelling in both directions will shift to the shoulder, allowing a 2 lane road to become 3 lanes for the duration of the pass. (My new friend Thalia tells me sometimes even 4!)

And GB is right about that raki! It's lethal. The stuff I tried in Crete was smooth enough to down in a gulp, but somehow my brain managed to convince my throat that would not be a good idea.

Finally, I wish I'd known how hard it would be to leave.

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Thalia Hotel
Thalia Hotel
582 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Susan

Your last tip should be the first anyone is told about greece. I hate leaving greece at the end of my holiday and 2 weeks is never long enough!.

Have been going there for 20 years and as soon as I come back I'm planning my next trip. I usually have my next holiday to greece booked in August for travel in June!!.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

Stoog

It's a Wiltshire speciality and a closely guarded recipe handed down from father to sheep over the eons of time.....

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

I wish that first time tourists to Greece knew that Greece is more than Mykonos and Santorini and Acropolis and Souvlaki!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis
Acropolis
26,634 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would have been helpful to know before your first trip...

"what do you wish that first time tourists to Greece knew??

That it's not that easy to "do" ten islands plus Athens in 6 days.......

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece