We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Hi!

I and my family are travelling for the first time to Greece for 8 days from May 30 to June 6. Below is our trip schedule and I would love to hear your comments.

May 30 arrive Athens to Santorini. santorini

May 31 Santorini

June 1 open

June 2 open

June 3 Athens

June 4 Day trip to Delphi

June 5 Athens

June 6 Afternoon flight out of Athens

For June 1 and 2 I'm thinking either stay in Santorini, travel to another island or go back to Athens. We are travelling with our two adult kids (21 and 19) and they are interested in history as well.

Thank you in advance for your comments. Its greatly appreciated.

Tates

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Hello!

Athens to Santorini is a good 6 to 8 hours ferry ride, so if possible I would try to get a flight from Athens airport. Flight time is no more than 30 minutes.

You do not mention what is your aim on each destination, what you'd like to see and do on those places, but on my point of view, given the effort to get there, Santorini worths you 3 full island days.It is a small island, but I think there is still plenty to keep you occupied for a few days! So, you have shedule 2 full days in Athens plus departure day (maybe half day).. I guess it is about alright to see most o the major outdoors sites plus one or two museums, but personaly I would try to spend more time on this vibrant and very interesting city. It has something for everyone. If you share your interests, you may get more specific advice on that. Delphi is a very special area. Museum and archeological sites on Delphi are second on yearly visits after the Acropolis. Landscape is very unique, and Delphi oracle was one of the holiest and more important sites in the ancient world. Many people visit as a day trip from Athens. On the other hand, it is 3 hours bus ride each way and site is a demanding one. Ruins are spread out on a hill side, climb up and a climb down from the museum level are required. Furthermore, you'll arrive on the hottest and busier part of the day, while you'll live when most visitors do. This means you have no opportunity to enjoy the site on leisure. On early morning and late evening, visit is much more quiet and pleasant, sun light on those hours make for great photo ops, and ambience of the place is completely different. Although understandably main focus is the museum and sites visit, area has much more to offer and people staying at least one night have a complitely different experience. I would say it would maybe worth to see Delphi at least on a rushed visit than not to see it at all, if your itinerary in Athens was reasonable. On my point of view, it is not. You'll miss a lot of Athens that you could experience in this day which will be spent half in transit to get to Delphi.... Just my views of course.If you wish to be a bit more specific on your traveling style, interests, must-dos and must-sees, you may get more suitable advice. : )

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Thanks Mariha2912

Your comments are a big help.

We will fly in and out of Santorini to save time. Olympic Air has a 2235 flight back to Athens so if we leave June 1, thats 2 full days in Santorini. Is this enough?

we love to visit museums, archaeological sites, a bit of shopping and experience the different culture the country has to offer.

I will consider including 2 days in Delphi instead of a day trip.

Thanks,

Tates

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

HI! Mariha, you will know about this - it's just struck me that Friday 1st - Monday 4th June is the long ''Holy Spirit Weekend' holiday', and that will affect people travelling, especially on Friday-Saturday and Monday. Will the Delphi site actually be open on the 4th? In any case, the roads will probably be crowded with people returning to Athens on that day, so travel could be slow. Also - and I think I should be more clued up about this, although as I don't have a vote, it doesn't affect me - isn't there a General Election coming up, which will also have an impact on travel arrangements?

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Hi!

General Election is on May 6th, so unless there are repeat elections, no problem on that one. You are right about the Pentecost weekend, this might affect road traffic and availability on accomondation/transport. I am almost sure that this is not a holiday for museums and sites though, there should be open as usual.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 18:46
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Thanks very much, Mariha! I expect there will be more questions about travel over the Pentecost weekend later on. I hadn't taken on board when the General Election actually is - very soon, in fact! I remember many years ago when we were travelling to Mytilene at Election time and extra planes were being organised for people going home to vote - very Biblical! Presumably that still happens? Also, no alcoholic drinks were being sold on Election Day - but that was a long time ago!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

For some reason I think more alcoholic drinks will be sold on this election lol

Greek political parties used to hire whole coatches or even a good ammount of air tickets for their fans in order to insure that people living in Athens and other large cities (or even abroad on some cases!) but actualy vote back on their original villages, would go and vote! This was a very common thing mostly on the '80s and early '90s although it was still going strong till recent years on some locations. I do not think this is the case nowadays as there aren't many fans around left lol

But in general it is true that many people will move around for elections, on their own agenda and of course airlines, coach companies etc will arrange additional shedules to full-fill high demand on transport.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

According to odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2507 Delphi will be open from 08:30 - 15:00 on Holy Spirit Day, and June 5th is a free admission day. :o)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

Thanks for the website, Heimdall! - I haven't seen that one before.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

It's official by Greek ministry of culture, but for some reason it wasn't very often updated, so I haven't check for some time...

10. Re: Help pls with my itinerary:) for 8 days in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:41