We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Greece?

Maidstone, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Where to go in Greece?

Hi, my fiance and I are planning a holiday to Greece this September (after the school summer holidays). We want to go for 2 weeks as cheaply as possible. We don't want to go to a "partying" resort, however we do want to have some night life. We are both in our 20's. A beach isn't important but we both enjoy a few drinks and good food. I have been told it isn't a great idea to go all inclusive to Greece as its cheap anyway.

This is our first holiday abroad together, it will only be his 2nd time abroad and will be my first time abroad without my parents.

We're both a bit nervous (but excited) about it and need it to be as stress free as possible!

We have a budget of maybe £500 to go AI (including all airport fees) but if we went SC/B&B/HB we wouldn't want to spend much more on the entire holiday (including food & drink for both weeks)

Can anyone help suggest a place in Greece for us to visit? Neither of us have ever been.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Greece?

suggest that you check where you fly from and what are cheap airtickets

Depending on this you can do several things

Perhaps try Zante or Kefalonia or Corfu and take from there

Alternatively you can fly to Athens, rent a car and explore the peloponnese, using Loutraki as your base

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Greece?

Your budget is to small for two weeks 'do it yourself' in Greece if out of that budget you have to account for flight, transport transfers, accommodation food&drink etc etc,,,,not even sure you'd get an all inclusive to Greece for your budget. Seriously perhaps you should look

Towards the costas

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Greece?

I have had a quick search and really cannot find anything S/C under £700 for two , even with online discounts and you still have to factor in your food. One thing you may be able to do is wait until nearer to September and try to get a late deal. Or you could go in to a local travel shop ie Thomson/First Choice and have a chat with someone there to see if your budget will get anything. Also you could look at reducing your holiday to around 11 days instead of 14 although this won't reduce the price much as most is taken up with flight but may be enough to make the difference. Sorry to be so negative as you should be exited to be taking your first holiday together.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Greece?

Hi there

Yes, I'm afraid your budget is way too low, is it £500 between you or £500 each? Even if it's the latter, it's still way too low I'm afraid, you won't get anything on the A1 basis for that, but as you say, it's really not worth going A1 anyway. Greece isn't the ultra cheap destination it was back in the 70s - it's still inexpensive by UK standards but for two weeks, you'd be looking at spending all your budget on food , drink and getting around.

I think you need to clarify please what your budget is, and what that £500 is actually for, whether it's each or not, and what ideally you want it to include. I know of some very good budget SC accommodation on the north coast of Crete, that will cost you around €40 per night between you, and that's dirt cheap, but 40 x 14 nights is already €560 which is more or less five hundred quid.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Greece?

That expensive GB ;-)……we’ll be experiencing two different budgets in June 20 euros per day for accommodation on Naxos for 18 nights and our two nights in Athens is costing us more than our entire stay on Naxos

So, Accommodation if you shop around is very cheap... the problem is the flight costs……..we booked our flights in Feb for June with Aegean Air from LHR to ATH for a total of £440 for two which at the time I thought was a bargain then a couple of weeks later the price when down to £240 that was the lowest and that lasted for two days….after that the price fluctuated between £390-£590..that was about a month ago…recently the prices are crazy money our AA flights same time & day is £640 now…I checked BA for the same flight same day and roughly the same time….a whopping £1,179

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Greece?

Try the site below, just found 2 weeks in Rhodes AI and all for £511 each, be prepared for "international food" of an average standard.

http://www.greececancellations.com/

7. Re: Where to go in Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:17