We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

...............and need it for a hire car.

I don't remember ever seeing this posted on here but IF your dozy OH forgets to bring it as mine did.

Believe me,It was ALL he had to pack along with the passports. I nearly murdered him!!!!

*Ring DVLC Direct on 00441792782341 and select the option for overseas calls ( It's answered very quickly)

*Tell them your problem and have ready a fax number ( could be the car hire office one or your hotel)

* Give them a few details/your credit/debit card payment for £5 and a receiving fax number.

They will fax a fully legal Certificate of Entitlement to Drive , officially stamped and dated............AND send it to you within ONE HOUR!!!

Brilliant, easy, fast service from DVLC and many, many thanks to the Thomson Rep who told me about this. :O) :O)

PS I wrote all this out in English for our hire company to keep as they hadn't heard of the service either and had, on occasions, to send away some very disappointed people in the same boat.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

Great info C-a-H, thanks for that, the number's going in the wallet, now all I have to do is remember the wallet.....

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

LOL GB! Honestly, I couldn't believe he had done that.

The car hire people wanted a copy of his driving license sent, stamped and dated by the police to confirm it hadn't been interfered with.

We were in such a pickle as policemen are as rare as the sun up here in the Dales. The nearest police station is 40 mins away, and anyway the neighbour,

( who has the key to our house,) couldn't find the license in the 'bomb site' that is the OH's wardrobe!

Easy Peasy to resolve WHEN you know how!! :O) :O)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

Whoops..............Forgot to say that this is for British driving license holders. :O)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

BUMP!

As this is not commonly known and the summer holiday season is beginning , I thought I'd remind everyone about this excellent service from DVLC Direct.

I have just checked and the tel. no. prices and general details are still the same. :O) :O)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

Cheers!!

Pontyclun, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

Thanks to whoever posted this,we arrived in Santorini for our honeymoon and neither of us remembered our licences with the build up and wedding. This has potentially given us the ability to see the whole of this fantastic island. Just waiting now for the fax to come through.

Ev & Rich

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

I am a little late in seeing this but am so pleased the post helped you!

I do hope your driving permit arrived without a hitch and things went well on your honeymoon. :o) o)

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

I've just read this. Problem being is that they apparently need to see the original actual copy as if you get stopped by the police this is what they insist on seeing. Is this legal copy sufficient for that purpose? ie will the hire car company still let you have the car? We had awful problems last night with Hertz - she was totally unhelpful and very unkind. As against sixt hire car man who came to our rescue but I had to ask my friend to go to my house, locate the licence and send photos of front and back of the licence. It would be great a) not to have to fedex the licence and b) drive all the way back to Kalamata with it as it's a very windy, hilly drive of 40kms.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

Hi.

Sorry that I am so late seeing this and you had such a rotten time with Hertz. .

We were led to believe that the faxed paperwork was a legal replacement for the driving licence and it was accepted by our car hire company as a valid alternative. (It does have all the official stamps etc and certainly looks the part)

I wouldn't have thought there would be any problem with the police (if stopped) as it is a signed and dated legal document.

HOWEVER..... I also always have a photocopy of the OH's driving license with me when abroad and although it is not as 'official' as the permit, it is additional backup should anyone need extra proof that we are entitled to drive.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do if you have lost/forgotton your driving licence!!

PS Have just remembered that our hire chap took a copy of the permit for his insurance people and gave us it back in case of us being stopped by the police for any reason. :O) :O).