We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

We are returning to Naxos this summer for all that the island has to offer (for the 3rd time) so we need some new ideas that you don't find in the travel guides. We have gone to Apiranthos and eaten at Lefteris, seen the Temple of Demeter (2X) and done the drive to Apollonis and seen the Kouros. I can't wait to visit our favorite beaches but can someone suggest a day trip that would be an option for when we need a break from the beach? I'm not quite ready to suggest we climb Mount Zas, but would love a suggestion that you wouldn't find in Fodor's Guide. We usually choose new islands but the kids wanted to return to Naxos and it really does offer everything! Thanks for any suggestions, we love good food so a great restaurant suggestion would be a reason to drive a long way especially in conjunction with a pretty view or ancient site or off the beaten track site.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

When you arrive Naxos, go into Zoom bookstore and buy the book Walking the Greek Islands, Naxos and the Small Cyclades. You find 26 walks on Naxos in it, and you may of coarse drive to most of the places too. At the same time you buy the Skai map over Naxos. It is in scale 1:40.000. It is the only good map I have found, all other are merely tourist brochures. In addition to showing all roads and paths, it also gives a lot of information on sights, trails and a little about the myths.

I like the walks around the Chalki area. The tourist paths are well marked, but very little visited.

Another nice walk is from Ano Potamia, down along the riverbed. It a nice shaded path under the tall trees. You may park before the taverna and walk into the village in Ano Potamia. Along the path you pass a small museum of a millers house.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

There are many villages to explore - each has its own flavour and attractions:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189431-c163441/Nax…

Also look up the "Things to do" part in the forums:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189431-s1/…Things to Do

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

I have to agree with Periscope there is a great walk around Chalki which took us about two hours then lunch at one of Thr tavernas near the Citron distillery. For an adventure try and find the Jesuite monistry ruin just outside of Melanis or pano Kastro the kids will love that mountaintop ruined fort.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

Regarding Chalki there are even more walks now.

I expect them to be fully marked after August 17 th.

Another path only now opened starts from Sagri's coffee shop until Demeters temple.

Enjoy Naxos

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

Here is to give you an idea of marked trails around:

http://tinyurl.com/3frqnjm

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

Thanks very much for all your ideas!

7. Re: All you repeat visitors to Naxos...ideas for day trips...pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 06:16