We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

Sorry if this information is somewhere else. I searched but couldnt really find what I was looking for. It seemed more appropriate in the general greece forum than the islands themselves to decrease redundancy.

Ive got this trip all booked (itinerary below).

We have never been on a trip this long before. Does anyone have any recommendations for what my fiancee and i should bring?

What kind of clothes are appropriate for our locations? I know we need to be dressed appropriately for mosques and monasteries. We will probably go out to dinner at some fancy restaurants occasionally as well. From what I understand temperatures will go from approx avg of 80 during the say to lows of 50s at night when we leave from Istanbul. I want to make sure we have everything we need.

Do you have any suggestions on driving maps for the bodrum and the greek islands we should pick up?

Anything else we need to bring? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks so much again,

The itinerary is below:

10/9/2012 Istanbul arrive 12:20 flight: Turkish Airlines (4:40 - 5:55) Bodrum

10/10/2012 Bodrum

10/11/2012 Bodrum

10/12/2012 Bodrum

10/13/2012 Bodrum Ferry (8:30-10:30) Rhodes

10/14/2012 Rhodes

10/15/2012 Rhodes

10/16/2012 Rhodes

10/17/2012 Rhodes Flight to Crete: Cyprus Air (7:30-8:20) Crete, Agios Nikolaos

10/18/2012 Crete, Agios Nikolaos

10/19/2012 Crete, Agios Nikolaos

10/20/2012 Crete, Agios Nikolaos Crete, Chania

10/21/2012 Crete, Chania

10/22/2012 Crete Ferry to Santorini: Hydracat (9:45-12) Santorini

10/23/2012 Santorini

10/24/2012 Santorini

10/25/2012 Santorini Flight to Istanbul: Aegean Air (11:55-3:15) Istanbul

10/26/2012 Istanbul

10/27/2012 Istanbul

10/28/2012 Istanbul

10/29/2012 Istanbul

10/30/2012 Istanbul Flight Home

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

Hi there

I can only really comment on the Crete section of the trip, you intend flying to Iraklion from Rhodes, and then spending a couple of days in Agios Nikolaos. There is so much to see around that area that with such a short amount of time on what is a huge island, I wouldn't bother going all the way to Chania on the third day, especially seeing as you will have to come all the way back to Iraklion for the ferry to Santorini.

Don't get me wrong, Chania is a lovely town, but it's also a 5 hour return ride by car, or 6 hours by bus and when you consider what is on your doorstep in Agios Nikolaos, I don't think it's a good use of your valuable time.

Within a 90 minute ride of Agios Nikolaos, ( and many of these places are much closer than this) you have Spinalonga island, the Lassithi plateau, Milatos caves, Knossos, all the sights in Iraklion itself, lovely inland villages such as Archanes, Kritsa and Neapoli, pretty harbour villages such as Sissi and Milatos, Malia Palace ( Minoan site) and if you take the E97 route south out of Iraklion, you can easily see in one full day the three south coast sites at Agia Triada, Gortys and Faistos.

It's your call of course, if you had a longer stay on Crete then I'd say "yes, head to Chania" but in just 3 days, I would concentrate on what's on the doorstep.

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

Unfortunately the hotel was closing on the 20th, which is what prompted the Chania detour. I was figuring that we would use the journey to Chania to see a bunch of things a long the way. Knossos? Would you have any other suggestions on making a day trip with sites on the way to Chania?

Do you have any other suggestions about maps? Or what we should be wearing in October?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

Hi there

Knossos is just a few kms south of Iraklion and is easily reached either by bus or car from the city. Personally, I'd take the bus as the traffic in Iraklion is insane and would prove a real baptism by fire for a first time visitor. There's plenty to see en route to Chania, Rethymno is a lovely town with loads of history but another option would be simply to find another hotel in Agios Nikolaos for the additional night or two rather than going all the way there and back to Chania.

Best road maps in my opinion are issued by Road Editions but most appear to be out of print ( you might find a copy online somewhere) , so I have bought the Rough Guide map of Crete which is detailed and accurate and shows everything down to a footpath. Half the island is on each side of the map, extends out to around three feet long each side.

The weather in Crete in mid/late October an be a mixed bag, it should be warm and sunny but you might get a few wet and possibly windy days, but it won't be cold, so go prepared with say a light sweater or a fleece jacket and you'll be fine.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

Apart from a formal attire, for dinner evenings, which is entirely your own choice, a warm woollen pashima would be appropriate, it takes you a long way, from evenings to churches.

You might be fine just with teeshirt, but then again as GBfrom.. above pointed out, October is a bit cooler than hot September, even in the south. It is after the sunset that temperatures drop. I remember being actually cold in Morocco in July month, when the wind arrived in the evening.

5. Re: 3 wk October Greece/Turkey Honeymoon- What to pack and prep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 04:18