We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Hi,

My partner & I are considering staying on a Greek island for a couple of weeks in August/September next year. We are looking for an island that isn't too touristy but has charm & beauty. We have heard that you need a car on many of the islands to go to the beach. We want to stay in a place where a car is not required. We absolutely loved Taormina - as far as beauty, charm, restaurants go, it was hard to beat. We were looking for a Greek equivalent, if one exists.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Hi

I think you have a massive choice of places to visit.

We've never hired a car on any of the Greek islands we've visited and there's always been a beach nearby.

Ok, we may have missed out on seeing some out-of-the-way places by not hiring a car but it's really not essential.

Maybe take a look at Skiathos (we love staying in Skiathos Town and getting the local buses out to a different beach each day) or Lindos on Rhodes (possibly one of the prettiest villages in Greece) or Kos (we stayed in Tingaki).

Rhodes and Kos have some ancient ruins if that 'floats your boat' and there is a local bus service to Kos Town and Rhodes Town.

I can't say if these are the Greek equivalent of Taormina as we only visited there for the day, we stayed just below in Giardini Naxos - but what a fab island Sicily is.

Good luck with your search.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

How about Elounda on the island of Crete, a lovely little resort, with many places of interest within walking distance.

If you want to explore that part of the island further, you can use the local bus, which takes you to Agious Nicholaos, another interesting but larger town, where you can get the bus to other places such as Knosses, Heraklion or villages such as Kritsa.

There are many excellent tavernas in Elounda and different types of properties available from the mega expensive, to village apartments.

Read about the village, on it's forum, I think it would tick all your boxes

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

If you are looking for a not so tousisty destination with great beaches and no need for renting a car, I would recommend Koufonissi and the rest of the Small Cyclades (Schoinousa, Donousa, Iraklia). They are relaxed islands, with wonderful waters to swim.

At Koufonissi we stayed in the town and walked to all beaches, the furthest one was 45 mins on foot, but there was also a boat making the way if you don't want to walk.

There were enough choices of tavernas to go eat, also a few bars but don't expect any kind of real nightlife there.

Of course there are many many more places around Greece that fit to your description. Still, I have discovered that whenever I have been to a bigger island without a car I regreted it, the best beaches and spots need to be self-discovered and public transportation doesn't help much in this. For example, first time I went to Paros I was a student so I had no car and couldn't afford renting one, so I saw only basic spots where buses went. Totally different experience when I went with car.

However, it is totally respectable if you don't want to use a car during your holidays, just make a careful selection of destination so that you don't find yourself restricted to only one beach/ village.

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Hi Prettypollycat. Thanks so much for your response! I will check out your suggestions.

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Hi Debs. I really appreciate your recommendation of Elounda. I will definitely do some research on it. I'll let you know how I go. This is for summer of 2013 so I have a bit of time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Hi sbgath! I will check out Koufoniss. Thanks so much for the suggestion. We have always found that when we were in a car on vacation, we got so stressed. It was so much easier to just walk everywhere or take a cab or a boat - depending on the place. We stayed in Lerici (Italy), after a stressful drive from Lake Como. We returned the car & had the best time. We were able to do everything we wanted without a car - Cinqueterre, kayaking, walking to other towns. I know a lot of people just love to drive but unfortunately I am not one of them. (I live in Sydney & don't even own a car. Get everywhere by bus/ferry/train or walking.)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

I know what you mean, I won't drive and my husband drives for his job, so wants a rest from it on holiday. Although he has hired a car, on a few occasions, we much prefer to go somewhere where public transport is available and local places to walk to, Elounda is ideal for this.

I have met people on holiday who use a hire car to go everywhere, even a few hundred yards locally, they are just so used to going everywhere by car.

I can appreciate the opportunity a hire car provides to visit out of the way places, but at the same time, it is turning once quiet areas into huge car parks and village roads into busy main roads....rant over

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Have you checked out symi?

Gorgeous harbour front with some great bars and restaurants and you can practically walk the island. Plenty of ferries and trips (e.g. Rhodes town) to break your holiday up. Elounda is lovely but I have a feeling might be a bit touristy for you

Good luck. We are planning our second home made Greek island tour for next year. The last one was just amazing .

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

Thanks Pablo. I will check out Symi. We aren't going until next summer, so we have a lot of time.

10. Re: Beaches, Restaurants/Bars & No Car Required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:17