We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Hi there

My partner and I would like to try a Greek island for next years hols.

I have only been to Crete, he none of them.

My partner loves to snorkel, it makes his holiday. Nothing fancy, just loves nature and water! However, nothing much coming up for that subject.

We like to book our own accomodation/flights. Nothing too noisy but good choice of tavernas and somewhere to walk at night would be just lovely. If theres any Greek ruins to visit that would also be a bonus.

Any ideas/experiences would be much appreciated thanks.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Hi there

I'm afraid your requirements are available on every Greek island so it would be good if you could narrow it down a bit first by reading a decent guide book and making a list of say 4-5 islands you like the sound of based on your preferences. You have already visited Crete so why not take him there? Great beaches, huge choice of resorts and accommodation, clear, clean water and as much history as you can absorb.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Hi there!

There are dozens of islands that fit your description, it all depends on your personal preferences.

For example, if you don't limit yourself to islands which are directly connected to the UK, you can discover more laid-back places away from package tourists. On the other hand, if it has to be a straight flight from the UK, your options are immediately limited to these islands.

What is also important is the month you plan to visit. Some islands are totally packed in July and August, some others are ok but start to empty in September.

You can choose among the islands groups of Ionian, Sporades, Cyclades, East Aegean and the Dodekanese. In each of these groups you can find many options of what you are looking for.

So for starters, make a small research on the web or read a good guidebook on the Greek islands, then come back to the forum with more specific questions and many people will be here to help you.

Happy planning!

Edited: 08 October 2012, 13:15
Selby, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Hi there

Also have a look at Parga on the mainland (you fly to Preveza). Snorkelling from the town beach was great. It has everything you want. The only problem you would have is fitting it all in. Very busy July and August though.

Hope you enjoy your searching,,

Jean

Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Well folks, thanks for replying!

I narrowed my choice down to Corfu, Rhodes, Skiathos and Paros.......but then I looked at the pictures of Parga!!!! sigh

I'm not restricted to July and August fortunately but can't decide on June or September. Still, I'm getting there!

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Sea will be warmer in September but it's fine in June................

enjoy whatever you decide

Jean

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

Between June or September I would advise on June. Days are longer and summer is just beginning, so everyone, including locals, tourism staff and visitors are in a more energetic and happy mood. September has a more "end-of-summer" feeling, many people who work in the tourism business are tired and just wait for the season to end. Plus you have a higher chance for rain and chilly evenings.

Don't get me wrong, September can also be great, especially this year it was warm and totally "summery", but June would be my choice if I had to choose between the 2.

Prices for accomodation should be pretty much the same in both months, as they are considered middle or low season.

7. Re: Snorkelling in Greek Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:19