We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

Hampshire, England
6 posts
Save Topic
Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

Hi there,

We are beginning the exhaustive serach for our holiday next year but with children of 2 and 5 we want to make sure that the area chosen will be suitable for what we are after especially as we are looking at travelling in August for the first time due to the dreaded school holidays! Bascially we would like:

- Good beaches which are not too crowded

- Nice resturants / taverna's - don't need to be Michelen Star but the more local and authentic the better - we donj't go away to have English food if that makes sense ?? :)

- Somewhere to wander around of an evening, a square or something similar

- A decent supermarket so we can cook proper meals in our villa

We plan to have a car so if there are other resorts to explore within the area that can give us what we're after that would be fine too.

We normally stay in a villa so give the room we desire but my question is - Greek Islands or Cyprus and does anyone have any recommendations for a young family that is too young to need waterparks etc for entertainment ...

Thanks in advance :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

A choice between a beautiful place with wonderful people, and a beautiful place with wonderful people. not easy. However I would have to consider with two youngsters if the temperature in August might be a little much in Cyprus. My choice would be to head to north west Greece, perhaps looking at the north west coast of Corfu. perhaps Sidari.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

Greece and Cyprus my two favourite places been to Cyprus 12 times beaches superb ideal for children but will be scorching hot in August, also been to Skiathos, Santorini, Rhodes, Kafelonia, Parga, Halkadiki, Zante, i would chose Cyprus if your ok with the heat

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

Hi

What a minefield having to choose a holiday with so many choices in the Greek islands and Cyprus. In my opinion I would choose a Greek island. I have taken both my children to a variety of islands since they were 10mnths old and we are similar to you in that we didn't want waterparks etc. My father in law has a house in Cyprus that we can use at any time - however we find some of the Greek islands feel more authentic and have chosen to go back to Greece even though it costs us more!! Cyprus is beautiful too especially if you travel up into the mountains. I am in Education so I also have the dreaded holidays but we all love going in August. My particular favourite island for scenery, authenticity, traditional food and tavernas is Kefalonia but I also love Corfu, Thassos (although no direct flights) and Lesvos. Happy hunting!

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

Sorry meant to add that Skala in Kefalonia has a village square to wander around and in the evening is full of local and tourist children playing whilst the adults sit watching and relaxing! Also car hire is great because there are many areas to explore

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

Skiathos Skiathos Skiathos!!!!

A must whilst the children are young. As far as I can see it will tick all your boxes. Divine beaches, restaurants / tavernas in abundance, Skiathos town - a wonderful area to browse in the day or in the evenings with daily boat trips to nearby islands.

Ps - not a water park in sight!!

Seems to me that it's a perfect time to holiday in Skiathos.

Check out flights & holidays with Monarch / Cosmos.

With car hire, all the beaches are accessible to you.

You will not be disapointed.

6. Re: Greek Islands or Cyprus ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 10:17