We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globus Tours BEWARE!

Arlington, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Globus Tours BEWARE!

I had booked and paid deposit for a 7 day tour of classical Greece in February 2013. The tour has been cancelled without explanation and Globus will not pay any compensation for my travel which I had purchased independently . Don't trust Globus!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Hi there

Well, it's a shame that the trip has been cancelled but seeing as you presumably already have flights booked, why not just do the trip under your own steam?

Arlington, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

This was a tour ,in a bus ,with a guide ,museum entrance tickets,multiple hotels in different locations. That's why I booked with Globus.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Well, I gather that, but what's to stop you still doing it under your own steam?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

When you book travel independently from the tour it is YOUR responsibility to get travel insurance to cover that part for just these unforeseen setbacks.

This is travel 101.

Arlington, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Insurance should not be necessary to cover tour operator's cancellation without explanation. When I paid a deposit I expected Globus to honor the deal. I dispute that it is my responsibility to cover the cost of insurance (if available) to cover a unilateral breach of a contract by Globus . I repeat BEWARE OF GLOBUS UNEXPLAINED CANCELLATION.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Perhaps they did not have suffiicient bookings to run the tour. It is bad form not to inform you of a reason, but as you have flights booked then try to make something positive out of this asset. There are loads of people on here who will help you to organise your own itinerary - & maybe going it alone will prove a richer travel experience & even better value. You have plenty of time to read up, research & ask questions.

You could easily spend 3 days in & around Athens, either self-guided or using a local company that tailor itineraries to suit their guests. Someone recommended a company to me for a tour in 2013 & they have had good feedback.

http://www.athenstours.com.gr/about-us-3/

February would be a great time to explore this wonderful city - no crowds & no problems with overheating!

Then you could use the remaining days for a tour to places like Delphi, Meteora, Nafplion, Epidauros, Mystra, Mycenae - a combination of a few of these depending on your personal preferences. I expect these were on the Globus itinerary.

Prove to Globus that they needed you more than you needed them!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

If you've booked your flight to Greece independently, then I see no reason why the Globus cancellation should affect your plans in any way — in fact you might look upon it as a blessing in disguise. ;o)

I have also heard good feedback about the company in tsipouro's link. There are other Athens based companies that do classical tours of Greece, and personally I would prefer them to tours arranged by international companies. Along with athenstours.com.gr suggest you look at classical tours offered by http://www.chattours.gr and http://www.keytours.gr .

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Well, for whatever reason Globus haven't been able to honour the deal, regardless of whether you've paid a deposit or not. Yes, they should have given you a reason but at the end of it, they won't risk bad publicity by cancelling the contract " just because it suits them", there has to be a valid reason. - that's what travel insurance is for, it's not a case of whether you think you should cover yourself for all eventualities, it's a basic necessity when travelling anywhere.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Globus is only guilty of not providing an explanation for their cancellation.. They have no liability to cover you for your transportation costs since you opted to make them yourself. That is what trip insurance is for.

Arlington, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Globus Tours BEWARE!

Thanks Heimdall- good advice.