We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many choices!!!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
So many choices!!!!

Hello Greece lovers,

First time to Greece/Islands, we have just come back from our main holiday but are now looking to next year and would like to spend a week with the "kids" 25 and 23 yrs old!

We have the last week of May free and figured Greece could do with our cash, the weather would be ok, maybe good deals, good beaches, and good food would be easy to come by.

However after some basic research the choices of places to visit appear mind boggling, so I could do with some narrowing down if possible please.

As mentioned we'll be four adults, would like a nice beach with a little surf, restaurants serving local foods, a nightclub or a few bars for the "kids" to hang out of an evening. Not interested in sight-seeing unless we happen to be a ten minute taxi drive away from a must see place, purely relaxation and some quality time with the family is the goal.

Could really do without egg and chips and "kiss me quick" hats, please.

Budget, not sure really, as mentioned this is not our main holiday so maybe three or four star accommodation at most, but I'm a bit to old to rough these days ;))

Thanks,

Mark G.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many choices!!!!

Your first move should be to check out where you can get an easy flight to, and then ask for more advice. With only one week you cant move much around.

If you look at Chania or Rethymnion in Crete, or Lindos in Rhodes, you will not go very wrong. But these are only a few out ot hundreds of possibilities. With the exception of a few party-islands/resorts, most islands are really lovely, and 3* hotels are usually plenty good. And by all means, dont go for AI.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many choices!!!!

I have to say that personal experience of Lindos was bar, beer and football. We could avoid it but the beach was far from the town and it was very hot (and gets hotter we were told)

Loved Chania but we saw no surf beaches. A pretty town with a nice harbour, though the restaurants around the harbour were dubious. Good ones further into the town.

Rethymnion seemed lovely but we stopped for only a short time. I would have liked more.

Do check whether you will get waves anywhere. The sea can be very calm

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many choices!!!!

When was the village of Lindos far from the beach, it is right next to it?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,861 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many choices!!!!

If windsurfing is a main issue here are some options for Naxos:

Mikri Vigla

http://www.naxos-windsurf.com/

http://tinyurl.com/6bwhyqe

St. George

http://www.flisvos-sportclub.com/index.php

http://tinyurl.com/cfzhgk

Edited: 27 November 2012, 13:20
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many choices!!!!

Mikri Vigla is also big in kite-surfing. If you mean wave-surfing, I have hardly seen that kind of waves in Greek. The closest is on southern side of Crete when winds have been southerly for some time. But I haven't been everywhere.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many choices!!!!

Hi there

The winds "mainly" blow from north or northwest around most Greek islands so you'd need to look at a westerly or northerly coast but as with any aspect of the weather there are never any guarantees. Also, you do occasionally get the southerly winds which blow up from North Africa and these can be ferocious but again, no one can predict with absolute certainty when they are likely to be blowing.

With a week to fill, I'd look at Rhodes, the west coast is usually quite windy but the beaches tend to be pebbly. The sandiest beaches are along the east coast which is sheltered from the breezes so if a sandy beach is priority, you may well need to compromise.

OK, assuming you choose Rhodes, where to stay? If breezes are priority, then there are plenty of resorts along the west coast, stretching down from Rhodes Town, and past the airport ( so short transfers which is a consideration).

if a sandy beach is priority, then I'd look at Pefkos or Lindos. Lindos offers a unique location and a village atmosphere, plus a maze of narrow streets and alleyways. It has three beaches, all of which are close to the village so I'm not quite sure how post #2 reckons the beaches are "far from the town". Lindos has bars and restaurants a couple of livelier night spots too as well as shops and pretty much all you could wish for.

Pefkos is almost next door, is a purpose-built resort, but is quite laid back, great beach, plenty to amuse yourselves with, as has Lindos. It can't compete with Lindos for location but it's still a decent resort frequented by Brits and other nationalities.

Both resorts sit on the east coast main bus routes so it;s easy to get to Rhodes Town/Old Town if you wanted to.

Pefkos

flickr.com/photos/…

Lindos

flickr.com/photos/…

7. Re: So many choices!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:17