We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

My fiancee and I will be spending our honeymoon in the Greek Islands. Obviously we will spend time in Athens (about 3 days or so), and from there will voyage to two islands, three at the most. We will be there in the beginning-middle of June.

We are hoping to spend about 5-6 days at each spot to just relax, but we are overwhelmed at how many islands there are! If we only had TWO or THREE to decide from please tell us where to go and what to see!!

Thank you so much - I can't wait to get your feedback : )

Edited: 04 December 2012, 19:32
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

Hey and welcom Viollette D:-) Agree.. it's a pandora's box of jewels when it comes to the isles;-) What you are looking for?;-) More 'cosmopolitan' or quiet/beach time?! Lots of variables.. what may suit myself.. or someone else.. may not be up your alley;-)

For starters, take a look at Santorini.. it's ever popular.. but for a reason;-) Do you have a budget spread in mind?! As an example of what's available in the village of Oia, take a look at www.ikies.gr/ www.artmaisons.gr/ These are top-end.. lots of choices there!

You've got the time.. get a good book/research up on the various isle groups.. Cyclades, Dodecanesse, Ionian, Sporades.. see which you feel best bits the bill for you and what you're looking to do/experience;-) I know it appears daunting at start.. but am sure you'll nail a couple of isles that catch your interest.. you can then always come back for further info/details from those in the know who have had the pleasure;-)

Congrats.. and Happy Honeymoon planning;-) You're going at a wonderful time.. Best always!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

Hi Violette,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming event.

I suggest that you set out for Naxos on a flight as soon as you get to Greece. Spend as much time as you like depending upon the weather and what you like to do and see. From Naxos you have easy transport to other islands in the Cycladic group.

There are other groups of islands as well - the Dodecanese, Ionian islands, North Aegean islands, Sporades etc. Read a good guide book to find what appeals to you the most. Then return here with some more specific requests.

In any event save your Athens stay to the last part of your trip. This will also make sure that you don't miss your flight home due to cancellations, weather conditions etc. for the ferry journeys between the islands and Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

Hi Violette and congratulations!

Like previously said by the 2 above posters, noone can tell you which islands you would like the most, without knowing you and your interests.

I can just tell you my opinion, being someone who really likes beach, beautiful landscapes, views and picturesque villages, that if I were to spend my honeymoon in Greece for 3 weeks, I would pick Milos and Santorini for sure, plus a third island, possibly Paros, Folegandros or Amorgos.

Santorini offers the views and some beautiful villages. Milos has the best beaches in the Cyclades and is very romantic. Paros is more cosmopolitan but you can also find secluded places. Folegandros and Amorgos have a more "wild" beauty, I haven't yet visited them but I have heard and read a lot and they are on top of my list.

I wouldn't pick Naxos because I think it is more suitable for families with kids and older people (just my opinion).

However, every island has its own beauty and I don't think you can go really wrong with any choice you make.

Good luck with your planning!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

My advice is to fly direct to Santorini when you already are at the airport. Then work your way back to Pireus along the main ferry route Santorini > Naxos > Paros > Pireus. The Blue Star ferries is a reliable company with a modern fleet sailing this route all year. From Naxos you may take a day trip to one the Small Cyclades or to Delos (incl Mykonos). Delos may be visited from Paros too. Paros and Naxos have far better beaches than Santorini.

I dont understand how Paros can be descibed as more cosmopolitan than Santorini, and why Naxos should be for famlies with children or old people. I have seen a mix of all categories on every island I have visited. And I think Santorini is the most cosmopolitan (and touristy) of all Greek islands. But we all have different eyes.

Whatever you do, do the Athens part in the end. It is best to be at the mainland the day(s) before your flight home.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

<I dont understand how Paros can be descibed as more cosmopolitan than Santorini, and why Naxos should be for famlies with children or old people. I have seen a mix of all categories on every island I have visited. And I think Santorini is the most cosmopolitan (and touristy) of all Greek islands. But we all have different eyes.>

Hi Periscope! Like I said all this represents my opinion and only that. I discribed Paros as more cosmopolitan compared to Folegandros and Amorgos, not compared to Santorini. It is the more crowded of the 3, with more nightlife options.

As far as Naxos is concerned, I was there last summer for a week and this was the impression I got. Personally (I repeat:)), I would recommend it rather to families and older couples. Many of my friends had this opinion too and warned me before, but still I went and agreed with them. I think Milos is more romantic for a young couple, more compact, more beautiful beaches and landscapes, more picturesque villages.

Like already said many times, all this is just personal impressions and opinions, and I haven't had a bad time on any island I visited. I just found some suiting me more or less according to my interests. And for this reason the OP should make a good research and take their final decisions according to what they think suits them best.

June is a great time to visit the islands by the way. The longest days of the year, still mid- or low-season prices and no big crowds like July-August.

Edited: 05 December 2012, 10:22
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

Hey again.. and just to note what was mentioned about flying straight out upon arrival;-) You're coming the distance and will have to deal with at least 2 long flights! You may want to consider grabbing a flight straight out upon arrival in Athens?;-) FWIW, an isle is a great place to de-lag and get back into zone.. Athens is a major,vibrant metropolis.. may not be a good way to start off on the first/second day while still trying to get your land legs back;-)

Sign up now for email alerts with both www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ The latter offers some wonderful deals throughout the year.. if you opt to fly to Santorini first, there are numerous flights daily so you should be able to hook up with one and start off your honeymoon;) You're at the airport anyway.. these are short, approx 40 min flights.. saves you loads of precious time with no backtracking.. keeping the itinerary running consecutively is a major time saver.. and saving Athens as a finale also ensures the return flight(s) home! You'll also be ready at this point to truly enjoy and appreciate all this magnificent City has to offer;-)

Also keep an eye out at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules as time approaches! You can work your way back to Athens from Santorini and depending on which isle(s) you choose enroute back, you may have the option to fly back to Athens as well!

Just to note.. again.. Athens has loads to offer depending upon your interests/prefs, etc.. 3 nights will offer you 2 full days.. as another example, if you're into Museums, you may want to add to that;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 05 December 2012, 16:16
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,712 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

I 'd also add a day for Athens.

I 'd include Santorini because of the stunning views and i 'd pick two different islands in the chain too to add variety.

Naxos is very interesting, not the typical Cycladic island, green, lots to see.

Having included these two i 'd try to get Amorgos in as a very different and very interesting choice. Not crowded at all but if you are interested in a more natural / walking place this is a very good choice + stunning views too.

Something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/YqkN0

Pick islands first and then decide sequence. It really depends.

If, for example, you pick Santorini, Naxos and Amorgos they 'll most probably be visited this way. Santorini has an airport, while Naxos is connected by ferry with both. That means flying to Santorini when you arrive in Greece, then going to Naxos, then Amorgos and then returnign back to Athens for the finale.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

I woulds respectively provide my suggestions.

Consider Chania Crete. it is a lovely city with Venetian era buildings and lots of places to visit in the area if you want to wander from town.

flickr.com/photos/…

From Crete i agree with many here Santorini is a must see particularly for honeymooners. It is very romantic and you will remember your stay there for years. It is expensive because of the spectacular views. Be prepared to pay lots for a caldera view hotel but it is worth every euro. Images

flickr.com/photos/…

From Santorini do head to Naxos. it is a perfect companion island to Santorini but it has great beaches a lovely uncrowded main town mountain villages and no cruise ships dock there bonus no hoards.

flickr.com/photos/…

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

So what are your MUST HAVES? Do you want pre-booked accomodation throughout the trip? When are you travelling? Are you looking for up market hotels with air con, restaurant, room service etc or are you happy with a small hotel with pool snack bar and a fan in the room?

Like anywhere else there's a big element of choosing the accomodation that suits you, there are so many islands and places that will be perfect, what you need is to make sure you have accomodation that fits your own personal needs and wants.

10. Re: MUST-SEE Greek Islands for Honeymooners with 3 Weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:17